FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Need some Kite advice

Ok, right now I own a 11m 07 waroo, and it's a great kite, I can hold it down in anything I want to go out in, Now I need a bigger Summertime kite.
I want to be able to use my best bar on what ever kite I get.
was thinking a 15 or 17 waroo, Do I need 17 or will a 15 be enough. 175ish lbs
Also Is there Kite that my bar will work on that has better low end than the waroo?
Thanks In advance.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 AM

r u looking to get an 07 or 08 waroo?
and what boards do you ride?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:55 AM

I've got 9M and 7M waroos, but I use a Royal Era 14M for my big kite. It has sick low end, much better than a 15M Waroo and it turns just a bit faster than your 11M. I fly mine on the 07 waroo bar. I weigh 155 and I can ride from 12-13 on my small board and I can go up wind with my glide in any wind that will keep a kite in the air. The great thing about it is I can still hold it down mid 20s. The price is in line with waroos. I got mine from extreme in St augustine

Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 12:28 PM

I've got an 07 15mWaroo and an 11m as my only two kites. The 15m so far has been my go to kite cause i have to work when its windy and whenever I can get to the beach, its always sub-15 kts. Obviously there is a huge difference in the turning of the 11 and the 15, but I tried a buddie's 14 Vapor briefly, and it had way quicker turning. It actually made me a little dissapointed in my 15. THat seems to agree with what Bob said. I love my kites, but I'm not sure I couldn't find a better lightwind kite than the 07 15m.
Then again I'm a big old noob, so I thought I'd add to the discussion, with a warning label that I'm fairly fresh out of lessons and don't have the experience behind my opinion compared to most of the guys on here.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 PM

If you want a big kite that turns fast, look at the 16M Eclipse Thruster or even the 14M depending on your size. The Eclipse kites give you the low end of a kite about 2 sizes larger than its actual size...there are a lot of great kites out there though so I would suggest you try before you buy. Most riders will let you try their kite out to see if you like it, you are more than welcome to try my 16M. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 PM

My litewind kite last year was the 15m GK Trix. Has almost the lowend of the 17m Sonic. Pretty fast for a big kite. I liked it cuz when it was 12-14 it would get me going(210lbs.) with a skimboard. I'm able to go upwind and do some shuvits and aerials in these winds. More of a park and ride kite than the keep it moving type. At your weight, you should be good till almost 20.

Later
pebbles
Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 PM

A 17m is probably overdueing it. At that point I would imagine your kite would be more of a hassle than its worth. I have ridden a 15m waroo 07 for about a year and a half and its been a great kite, however the turning is really slow. If money isn't a hard issue for you I would go for a 14 Nemesis 08 or a 15 Waroo pro 07. They have a smaller more durable leading edge and would improve the turning on the kite, not to mention a broader wind range.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM

stay away from the waroo pro, yes it's faster.... but only in forward speed, not in turning..
i rode the 17m 07 roo for about a year, great kite for light wind riding, but definately not very quick..
this year i ride the 08 waroo 15m, i think thats your best bet, turns as fast as the 07 13m and the fun factor is huge compared to 07 17m or 13m (i owned both)

at 200lbs i can take the 15m down to solid 10 on my big board and can hold it to 20 easy....

-danny
Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 PM

Demo a 14 Contra before you buy a light wind kite, then make your own decision.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Got to check out the Revolution Kite. This thing is more fun in light wind than anything I have flown. I can fly it in 5mph and still have a blast.

Bonus......it's super cheap!!!!!!

The video is slow to start but check out around 1:10 on.

http://www.revkites.com/main/

Keepin it light