FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Default Oil Spill, REACTION, concerns, ideas, help needed, tell us here, Deep Horizon Blowout

Many of us keep hoping that this potentially catastrophic event may be averted through ongoing efforts to stop the release, containment and collection efforts, through favorable weather to avoid spreading of the plume. Time and to a degree preparation will tell how things work out.

Despite that, we are concerned, worried about what will come about, why this happened, how well efforts are proceeding to deal with it and what will follow. What is on your mind, tell us here. We're all in this together.

Continued from:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9609

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

I just went fishing tonight out at East Beach. The water quality was impeccable, sea life was everywhere, and I caught tons of trout, flounder, etc. It was impressive to see all the life out there and the health of the bay. The variety and quantity of life I witnessed in less than 2 hours could not have been dreamed of when I was a young boy.
I have been in St. Pete for 40 years and seen the water quality and sea life gradually make an unbelievable come back from the days just following dredging to create finger canals and its associated harm. Not to mention the dumping of various pollutants into Tampa Bay that has been brought under control.
It's hard for me to fully express my gratitude toward the recovery I have seen. Anyone that's been here for 20 or more years or more has witnessed this recovery.

It is unbelievable to me that 40 years of progress may be wiped away (from all of us and nature) in the coming weeks from the shortsightedness and greed of one of, if not the, WEALTHIEST company on the planet. It makes me sick that they don't spend more time/money/effort protecting all our resources in their pursuit of oil (with redundancy in fail safes).

Yet, their CEO says he is "proud of their recent performance" True prick and no bigger loser imo, than a man capable of saying such crap in the face of a tremendous tragedy. That's what most CEOs do though; rape while pretending to cradle.

Last edited by ricki; 05-07-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
rape while pretending to cradle.
Very well put
Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 AM

What really gets me is that BP is a British corporation, and Transoceanic Ltd, the company that owns the rigs, is a Swiss corporation. The oil that is harvested from near our shores is not earmarked for the US, it is put on the international oil market, for our companies to bid on just like everyone else in the world. But it is OUR country and OUR ecology that pays the biggest price. If you're going to possibly endanger our shores and natural resources, at least give us a good deal on the oil. The Gulf of Mexico should be off limits to other countries except those whose shores are affected. We should extend our territorial waters.

So, Obama, and Florida politicians, still want to push for drilling off the coast of Florida?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:18 PM

It sucks for sure. The more you know, the more mad you get.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Oil Spill, REACTION, concerns, ideas, help needed, tell us here, Deep Horizon blowout

I wonder how much of the current crisis, directly or otherwise was ultimately contributed to by higher petroleum prices. Certainly it contributed to the general economical malaise in the country. Not "actual" supply and demand driven pricing but that created by commodities market speculation. We all were wondering why the horrific price increases arose last year. "Experts" said, just basic supply and demand. If that were so, then how do they explain the major roller coaster ride in just months way up and way down. Demand didn't vary that much. It was just market speculation in large measure. Then some in the oil sector would say, until crude prices go above X we won't be able to do ... take your pick. How about mount acoustic blowout preventers?

Dolphins swim beneath the oil slick

Despite this, we do use too much non-renewable energy, we do need to reduce our carbon footprint, we do need to aggressively and EFFECTIVELY pursue alternative energy sources, apparently we do need to beef up offshore drilling safety procedures and we need to stop adding to our deficit through excessive dependence on overseas oil supply.

What to do? It is going to take some leadership, unpopular to various groups over time too, cutting back for the entire country and a good deal more. Big Oil is a business like many others, look at all the effective banking reforms that have occurred in our country since the recession? Have there been ANY at least with near term needed benefit? Or are we ok with proceeding "business as usual?" We have some fundamental problems with making painful decisions for the common good, compelling our leadership to make them a reality. It can start at the grass roots, doesn't look like a watershed of change is coming anytime soon from the top.

Are we ready?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Are we ready?
no, the vast majority of people do not know the issues nor are they willing to make voluntary changes, 10X for the politicians.

is this becoming a non-kiteboarding related rant? this may get ugly.....
Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 PM

No it won't, I don't think. I think most of us are on the same page on this.
If not, I can't see it getting too ugly.

It's all about the money for the guys who make it at the top, imo.
I wouldn't try to take it much further than that or philosophize too much.
Just look at the cash flow and the resistance to change becomes pretty straightforward.

BP is the richest corporation in the world from what I have read (if I am wrong, let me know).
Why in the world would the richest company ever even consider contributing to it's own downfall (or at least minimizing profit) by not selling brown crud that's in the ground to all of us? Money-wise, that would be insane. That would be like the big bankers allowing inflation to halt.

I also however believe it's beyond insane to not have several layers of redundancy to safeguard the extrapolation and transportation of that power packed brown crud to keep it out of the environment as much as possible. Sheer stupidity.
Bankers and monsters Corps run gov't, so change is highly unlikely.
Doesn't matter much what "we" want, imo.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Default Hazmat training

they are offering a training program this tuesday in key west, so i am hoping to take my instructors to it. I would advise taking a course if you will be affected, as i didnt realize what was involved. being a volunteer is great, but you need to know what to do.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM

p.s. you know we are serious as it will be blowing 20 knots....errrrrr class while its blowing? bp blows
Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM

http://wimp.com/solutionoil/

something I found that could help out a ton.