FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Round Trip

Downwinders have been popular for many years. What about "round-winders" or rountrip runs? I headed out today with a side onshore wind, from the SE. We are still being influenced by Hurricane Katrina off to the west hence the larger than normal gust range. The waves were about 3 to 4 ft. with 6 foot waves in the odd breaker zone.

It wasn't that hard to move upwind with tacking and it had been quite a while since I had been south down the coast so I had at it. It worked out pretty well with heading a 1/4 to 1/2 mile upwind followed by a sizzor tack offshore about the same distance.

The overall distance was about 9.5 miles combined with tacks and the return trip I would guess the overall distance to be about 25 to 28 miles. The trip upwind took about two and a quarter hours with all the tacking and beating upwind. I stopped off at kitebeach in Pompano, said hi to the guys then relaunched and headed out. I ran downwind for the trip back ripping fast pretty much downwind by sinusoiding the kite. The return took only 25 minutes!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

"Round-winders" do take a bit more energy and seamanship than the normal downwinder. Still, it can be a bit of a challenge and a pretty good workout too. You may need a bit longer board with a good edge to help with riding closer to the wind. You run at least 100 yards off of guarded beaches to avoid causing problems for access. Avoiding extended breaks can also add to the challenge. It is good to use fairly new stuff free of wear. I was looking at my chicken loop line after the run when I was doing some pretty powered up stuff. It broke shortly afterward, fortunately at the end of the run! I had used that bar less than 20 times, oh well.

What other sort of "round-winder" experiences have folks had out there?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Wow now that is what I call a roundwinder !!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's another roundwinder with waves this time and lighter winds. They do make you use more seamanship and exertion at times too than some forms of racing. Sounds good to me.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi