FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default VIDEO: Jon Modica Demonstrates A Novel Solo Landing Technique For SB III Kites

I caught Jon Modica at the end of the first day's competition at the 2008 Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion. I asked him to demonstrate a novel solo landing technique that I read about online and captured it on video.

NOTE: Jon shows this one approach to solo landing a Cabrinha Switchblade III kite. This approach MAY work with SOME other kites in some conditions BUT WILL NOT WORK with ALL flat kites. Extreme care and caution should be used if evaluated and should be done initially in light winds with an adequate buffer area. If things go wrong it is possible severed appendages and/or impact injuries might result so have a care. NOT to be used with traditional C kites.

This technique or grabbing the trim strap to secure the kite IS NOT RECOMMENDED with Cabrinha IDS kites.

A website embedded this video recently, posted some of the precautions but not all of them particularly those related to the IDS system. IDS allows a much better and easier way of solo landing than described here. For that reason, I disabled the video. Sorry

Sorry about all the wind noise, it was my first time shooting video in high wind with a Canon G9 digital "still" camera. Still, the video quality is pretty good considering. I may yet figure out how to reduce it through filtering.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-17-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 PM

First couple times you try this make sure to detach your leash, or hook it to an "O-Shit" the cabrinha system will take you for a ride if your leashed on where john was and the kite doesn't land.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonKiteboarding View Post
First couple times you try this make sure to detach your leash, or hook it to an "O-Shit" the cabrinha system will take you for a ride if your leashed on where john was and the kite doesn't land.
Good point. He had it attached at the "suicide leash" point, correct? As far as I know pretty much all kites will retain some power at this point, not just Cabrinha's. I think your suggestion about detaching the leash entirely and having a large clear downwind buffer along with someone to try to grab the kite's leading edge make sense if things go south.

btw, I shot this at around 5 pm on Friday, Jan. 25, 2008 with winds around 25 mph gusting higher. One difference that I have noticed trying this with other flat kites is that all don't sit on the sand as calmly. Some will bounce in winds lighter than this although substantially depowered. This may require an alternate approach or in some other cases this is not a suitable approach to use.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-01-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Skyway Scott

Do the Cabrinha kites have a front line attachment point for the leash?
If so, can you attach the leash there and use it to your advantage to land the kite, as opposed to grabbing a front line with your hands as the kite is landing? I have found that by attaching the leash there and pulling on the leash as the kite falls (same method Jon shows) the kite points dead into the wind as it lands and "pins" itself there nearly every time (leash has to be attached to "top" front line to work). I mimicked the ring system on my waroo bar after the Cabbies to self land my kites. (picture is at bottom of this page http://forum.bestkiteboarding.com/vi...r=asc&start=15 )

I like Jon's method, I just think that taking advantage of that front line ring might make it even easier by avoiding the need to grab a line by hand and by insuring the leash is on a flag out point. I actually wish all bars had the front line rings, this being one reason.
Any thoughts? Maybe Jon hasn't tried that approach using his leash or maybe he knows why we should avoid it. Obviously Jon knows what he is doing. I am not questioning how well that it works for him. I am curious if he has tried attaching the leash to the front line ring, though. If he hasn't I bet he will like that method even more when it's really windy. Maybe not though, maybe he got whacked by his leash once doing it that way.

Thanks for posting that video Rick. I read Jon's description on KF a while back, but pictures are worth....
Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Do the Cabrinha kites have a front line attachment point for the leash?
If so, can you attach the leash there and use it to your advantage to land the kite, as opposed to grabbing a front line with your hands as the kite is landing? I have found that by attaching the leash there and pulling on the leash as the kite falls (same method Jon shows) the kite points dead into the wind as it lands and "pins" itself there nearly every time (leash has to be attached to "top" front line to work). I mimicked the ring system on my waroo bar after the Cabbies to self land my kites. (picture is at bottom of this page http://forum.bestkiteboarding.com/vi...r=asc&start=15 )

I like Jon's method, I just think that taking advantage of that front line ring might make it even easier by avoiding the need to grab a line by hand and by insuring the leash is on a flag out point. I actually wish all bars had the front line rings, this being one reason.
Any thoughts? Maybe Jon hasn't tried that approach using his leash or maybe he knows why we should avoid it. Obviously Jon knows what he is doing. I am not questioning how well that it works for him. I am curious if he has tried attaching the leash to the front line ring, though. If he hasn't I bet he will like that method even more when it's really windy. Maybe not though, maybe he got whacked by his leash once doing it that way.

Thanks for posting that video Rick. I read Jon's description on KF a while back, but pictures are worth....

Scott,
very good point,
the leash on the center line is a very good idea for this method.
But i think its just as important to know how to do it just in case you don't have a leash

i always try to learn how to do things without relying on certain equipment, that way if something changes or fails i won't be the one who suffers the consequences

but the centerline leash WILL HELP!!!

JUST MAKE SURE ITS ATTACHED TO THE TOP center line.

please feel free to ask me any questions.

-Jon
Old 02-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Tom Stock

I've landed my waroos with this method for a year now and it works. However, no way I would try it in 25 because if the kite slides backwards and relaunches over zenith you may get a nasty surprise, even fully depowered. I was always afraid it would end up in the trees at backside (small launch surrounded by trees).

The graph I see for that time shows 15-18 (with some gusts above 20) up until just after 5:00.

The waves and chop are too clean for 25 gusting higher imo. Not to mention that both hair and the palm trees in the background aren't even moving. My guess is 15 - 18 mph.

But regardless this is an ok method for landing in a pinch... I like the front line ring better but this works.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Skyway Scott

Yeah. Top ring for sure. It won't work otherwise.
Because of this, I usually reason which front line I want the ring on when rigging. If I will be coming back in on a port tack, I attach the ring to the right front line. If coming back to shore on a starboard tack, I attach it to the left. I switch my leash over for a self landing while on the water, just before I come in. I also attach it there when self launching in hairy winds, just in case. It will flag the kite out on that way if the launch goes bad.
Then I move it back to the normal spot once I hit the water.
Things don't go wrong too often, but better safe than sorry is sort of my mindset when launching/landing solo.

I noticed that Ozone built in rings for both front lines last year with easy to reach handles.
I think Best is considering the same.

I looked for videos last night demonstrating the self landing using the rings (like your method, but with the leash to a front line ring) and couldn't find one. I did find a psycho on a kite that almost broke his arm by tethering himself to a long rope and going up about 70 feet. He then crashes down. I don't think that qualifies as a self landing video though.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Exactly how I launch and land my Slingshot TD2. I also teach this method. Cheers Neil
Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post
I've landed my waroos with this method for a year now and it works. However, no way I would try it in 25 because if the kite slides backwards and relaunches over zenith you may get a nasty surprise, even fully depowered. I was always afraid it would end up in the trees at backside (small launch surrounded by trees).

The graph I see for that time shows 15-18 (with some gusts above 20) up until just after 5:00.

The waves and chop are too clean for 25 gusting higher imo. Not to mention that both hair and the palm trees in the background aren't even moving. My guess is 15 - 18 mph.

But regardless this is an ok method for landing in a pinch... I like the front line ring better but this works.
This is what I have been trying to tell Ikite for over 6 months now there sensor reads 4-5 mph higher in jupiter that makes a big difference and they keep telling me nothing is wrong
Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post

hey Tom,
it was pretty windy. i was riding an 8m kite in the finals just minutes before this video was taken. I weigh 160lbs.

as long as im using a true bow kite, i am comfortable doing this up to 25knots no problem.

-Jon