FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Cabrinha Stacks the Top Ten...

For Immediate Release:

Cabrinha Stacks the Top Ten in Gulf Coast Kiteboarding Challenge

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The 2010 Gulf Coast Kiteboarding Challenge was supposed to take place early in the 2010, but was delayed by poor conditions and eventually left to run this Fall. The notice came on Friday Dec 4 that race was on for Sunday with a perfect forecast of strong NW winds. 45 competitors from all over Florida traveled to Sand Key Park in Clearwater to battle it out with their peers on the pristine waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The finish is downwind at the Undertow in beautiful St. Pete Beach. Although the course starts out as a downwind reach, the coastline curves throughout the race to end nearly straight downwind.

The conditions were perfect with 15-20 knots of wind. Most competitors used stock kites and some type of directional board that is both comfortable to ride on a single tack for long periods of time, but super fast as well. Local Mike Hall won the race the previous year in under 45 minutes, so he was the obvious favorite for the 2010 running. But with racing veterans Damien Leroy and Kent Marinkovic in town, anything was possible.

After gaining a nearly insurmountable lead, Leroy struggled towards the end where the course goes almost straight downwind and the winds let up just a touch. Kent Marinkovic on a 16m Crossbow with 28m lines and a custom downwind board was flying through the bottom of the course. Mike Hall kept things interesting in the top three by staying close to Leroy and Marinkovic. Damo stepped on the gas at the end to hold off Marinkovic and preserve the victory in 51:40:07. Leroy is a world cup professional kiter and chose the Cabrinha Switchblade 12m kite with a custom downwind directional board. Marinkovic finished by himself in second position and the race’s favorite, Mike Hall (a native of the area), finished in third place also flying Cabrinha’s and using a custom directional.

Cabrinha riders tore it up in the Juniors as well with Naples’ own Jan Lucas Gianello taking top honors and 4th place overall on the Crossbow, while Chaz Lawrence grabbed 2nd and 6th overall. I hate to sound like a broken record, but Cabrinha riders once again shined in the Masters with Naples’ ripper Richie Gardner taking top honors and 8th overall and Enrique Gianello taking 2nd and 10th overall.

Once again Chris Moore, Steve-O, Jon and all the crew in the Tampa/St. Pete area put on a killer race and we’re all stoked for the next one!! Congrats to all the competitors, especially the 33 that finished the grueling race. There were a lot of new faces at the finish line and that is a good sign of things to come in racing. Cabrinha racers took 7 of the 10 top places in the overall standings – a big CONGRATS!!

Cabrinha Results
Overall:
1st Damien Leroy
2nd Kent Marinkovic
3rd Mike Hall

Juniors:
1st Jan Lucas Gianello
2nd Chaz Lawrence

Masters:
1st Richie Gardner
2nd Enrique Gianello

Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Well done guys!

Here's the layout of the course. Glad the winds stayed side onshore for the entire race.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-07-2010, 04:10 PM

cabs are not even in the top 5 kites.
IMO
they are way too expensive and slow and too much bar pressure.
no offense too cab drivers.
stick with best, flexi, ocean rodeo, slingshot, flysurfer.
truth be told...mike and damien could prolly win on peter lynns.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Looks like riders on Cabrinha kites did well in this race, first, second and third Overall, first and second in both the Junior and Senior categories. Your are correct, they didn't win the first five positions in all these categories.

There is a perception that Cabs are expensive, this was posted on another forum:

"Just so you guys can see here are some prices for 2011 kites.

Naish Park 8m K/C = $1469
Cabrinha Swichblade 8m K/C = $1579
North Rebal 8m K/C = $1599
Best Taboo 8m K/C = $1617.99
Slingshot Rally 8m K/C = $1679
Liquid Force Havoc K/C = $1599
Huh Isn't that funny Cabrinha seems to be one of the cheapest on that list!!!"

Given the speed race in Namibia, it is hard to say they are slow. There are lots of fast kites out there, likely more on the way too.

People should ride what good kites they like. Try different kites, form your own well informed opinions. Cabrinha had a good run this time, next race, we'll see. Each race as they say "is up for grabs."

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-07-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 PM

If your referring to late model cabs Bayflite then your spot on. Seems your opinion is old. My guess is you haven't ridden the newer cabs. One thing I've learned in this country about being on top in anything.....your gonna have the haters. It's human nature.

Seems alot of great riders out there have no clue but you. What a slap in the face IMO.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Just for the record since it was posted, I must point something out.

A Best 8 meter Taboo with their latest control bar is $1419 full retail cost. Not $1617.99 as posted. Making it the most inexpensive on the list.

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Taboo

Thats not including the Buy 2 get the 3rd kite free deal they just had on the Taboo.

Like I said, just correcting a posting
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I didn't do the research on the prices, just quoted what someone else posted. I don't know what sites the individual prices were taken from. It would have been better to put in urls for all the prices quoted to be more complete. That is a good price. I wonder if you looked around it you could beat even that? On the other hand, just found the same for $1598.00 on another site. Prices will vary, shop well!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 PM

You found a site that sells the Taboo and bar for $1598? Please send me the link. What I posted is full retail Best website price. Not friends price, not 10% off price.

Through the ASM site, the Cab price looks correct.

I know you used someones post and I know you did not verify. Being a very happy Best customer due to their superior customer service and product quality I felt like I should point out a possible error.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I bet you could find all the kites listed for both lower and higher prices if you looked around. If MSRP is listed somewhere that might be quoted but that price may not reflect what people actually might pay routinely despite manufacturer intent. The price I listed was from Air Padre, Kiteroam lists some over $2000. for the kite alone. There is a lot of variation in pricing for kites in general out there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 AM

That would be the same for all the kites on the list then right? So maybe to make a point using an unverified post to answer someones elses claim isn't the best. I only wanted to step in for Best since I personaly did not think the listing was accurate and still dont.

Choose your own brand based on what you want and what your willing to pay. Market conditions set themselves.