FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 AM

Default wind, wind wind

Hi
( I accidentally posted this on a different thread... so excuse the repeat...)

I might be heading down to key west May 11-17. I'm thinking about the flats....I know it's the end of the season, and the forcasts, unless I'm reading the wrong ones, are predicting 10mph.....Any opinions?

Anyhow if you could recommend any good weather sites other than IKITE, or tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it!!

THX!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: wind, wind wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg
Hi
( I accidentally posted this on a different thread... so excuse the repeat...)

I might be heading down to key west May 11-17. I'm thinking about the flats....I know it's the end of the season, and the forcasts, unless I'm reading the wrong ones, are predicting 10mph.....Any opinions?

Anyhow if you could recommend any good weather sites other than IKITE, or tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it!!

THX!
You may get some thermals out on the flats. You're not supposed to have them over water but it seems you still do. It must have something with the cooler deeper water bounding the warmer, shallow flats. Anyway, I've seen buzzards coring thermals miles away from Key West. You might get in touch with thekitehouse.com for more insight on probable conditions.

The drought we're in keeps the sky cover fairly clear. So with daily heating of the land we have been having a lot of good thermal late afternoon and evenings on mainland SE Florida. Last night was a perfect example. It was almost dead calm until 4 pm when someone hit a switch and the wind boosted to 12 to 17 kts. gusting to almost 20 kts easing off a bit and then falling sharply with sundown. Classic thermals BUT without the nasty storm cloud stack that usually follows from the Everglades.

I am hoping for more of the same and the thermal winds have already started. Interestingly enough the wind is SW within a mile inland but sideshore out of the SSE on the beach.

Regarding your question about forecast sites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
WHOA
CHange of subject, but im willing to work it.
Alright dude, I havnt been to the flats @ KEy west, although i live in miami,(I know, lame!) but the website i use is the following:http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/environment/
It has some gud forecasts for practically from the key west to Pensacola beach.
Hope your trip goes well
-DAN THE MAN 8)
and

I have found the NWS marine forecasts to be fairly good for SE Florida and the Keys.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine.php

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi