FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Sharks & Kites, Spring Is Here

We've heard news about shark sightings off SE Florida and some may have even seen video clips of some concerned citizens catering an inpromptu buffet at the beach.

From: http://www.nbc6.net/slideshow/432609...qs=;s=41;w=320 TWO years ago this month, the migrations have been going on a long time.

Today, the wind edged up into rideable conditions so I threw the gear in the car and tooled down to the beach. The wind was on the lighter side but felt like it might improve. Interestingly enough though there were sharks, A LOT of sharks, some within 10 ft. of the beach. They were pretty easy to see from the beach, visibility wasn't that bad. No one was out yet, not a bad call.

So, went about setting up in no particular hurry. After a while the that mass of sharks seem to have cleared off to the north. So, hit the water and rode for about six hours. The wind freshened nicely into gusts into about 24 kts by the end of the session. There was one more small group of sharks later on, but they seemed to hang close to the shore. When I first passed over them prior to deciding to stay further offshore, they reacted like sharks usually do, the hauled ass prompted by the board noise. At least they ignore you when UW with a camera. Actually, UW cameras are one of the best shark repellents ever created in my experience come to thing of it. They looked like spinner sharks, not in the mood to spin however. There was no bait kicking up, jumping sharks, diving sea birds or other normal indicators of particularly hazardous conditions (fishermen?). The sharks were apparently intent upon swimming up the coast and not much else. I did call it a day before sunset not wishing to push things. It was a good session, mainly for the wind but also the oddity of the sharks added to it.

More about the shark migration at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in684288.shtml

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-18-2007 at 09:30 PM.