FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM

Default Vacation ideas?

So, I'm trying to plan a vacation with my girlfriend and want to go somewhere different this year. Been to Belize, Cozumel, Roatan, Aruba and Grand Cayman recently(actually on a cruise a little over a yr ago). We're having trouble deciding. Before I spend all of my hours at work searching for vacation destinations online, I thought I'd get some opinions here. It makes sense. As kiters, we're all outdoors-type people who like the water and beach and have similar interests, and most of you meet the demographic of people who have been or will be going on a good vacation. Plus, as we've seen from the posts, we are all very opinionated. We've actually even thought about going to a travel agent to get some ideas, but rather than waste my time with that, thought I'd try here first.
So here's the info. We're looking to go somewhere, probably Carribean between July and September(yes, hurricane season, leave the hurricane comments out of it). I would love to say that I'll be doing alot of kiting, but I'm not really that concerned if I get to kite or not, although it would be prefered. I figure I kite while I'm here, but don't get to dive as much as I'd like or used to; so if the lady friend gives me an ultimatum as to what gear I get to bring, it'd be dive gear first over kites.(but I'm vying for both). She likes to lay on the beach and snorkel. Obiously I'd prefer watersports and diving over laying around. And we both want to go on tours and all the typical vacation junk. She's 25 and I'm 30 , so we'll drink and go out a little, but not looking to get trashed at bars. Prefer not to be swamped by kids. I want to go to Costa Rica or Bonaire, but she's not feeling it. So far we've come up with Antigua. She's also brought up trying Sandals, which I'm not too amped on, but she's hypnotized by the commercials. I'm slightly afraid of the big all-inclusive resorts, mainly for the fear of the unknown, but I worry if their really worth the money. I tend to think probably not.
Sorry for the long post, but hopefully I'll get some good thoughts and ideas that I haven't had on my own yet. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Richard