FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Another Accident At Hobie Beach

Have gotten limited information on a kiteboarding accident at Hobie Beach today in Miami. If anyone knows more particularly about how the rider is doing it would be good to know.

As to what happened, you could just see what happened in many of the other accidents at this dangerous launch and say, about the same thing.

Hobie is often chosen for SW winds. SW winds usually only come with cold fronts, cold fronts come with squalls and violent winds often enough. AND, the mainland shoreline is fairly close to the west, that means you get irregular wind through gust and lull cycles from land wind shadow effects.

Because of squall and wind shadow related gust cycles it is EASY to get lofted here. It is even easier IF:

- You ride inside the OUT OF BOUNDS swim buoys instead of doing assisted launches and landings out there, as required.

- If you ride through squalls

- If you stand on or near the 5 to 10 ft. wide "beach" boardered by mauling timber posts and parked cars.

Virtually everyone who has been lofted here was doing these things.

What I understand is this relatively new kiter had been out on a 14 m kite, was in the water inside the buoys (not sure if he was riding or standing).

A squall moved in from the mainland for all to see, the guy kept his kite up, didn't emergency depower or apparently do anything to effectively defuse the situation and was lofted/dragged downwind to almost the highway, I'm told.

He was apparently seriously injured with some saying he had broken something. His back was mentioned or a hip. I hope nothing was broken and he isn't dealing with paralysis or even worse injury right now. I don't know any specifics at this point but hope for the best.

Let's pull for this guy for a complete and rapid recovery.

p.s. - in the past ten or so years, there would usually be a plea for preserving access at this launch, as crappy and dangerous as it can be. Not going to bother at this point, as I understand it is to be closed regardless in the future. Not a lot of launches left in this populous county. Well, there's always domino's or cards in the future I guess. Avoiding most accidents and ban threats is EASY, if we try. If not ... so it goes.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 AM

I don't ride there much anymore because of the dangerous riding. I drove by on Friday afternoon to look for a couple friends and I saw several students being taught inside the swim buoys. It looked like two instructors. At that point, someone told me that a rider dragged onto the "beach" and then struck something either on the beach or in the parking lot. He was taken away by ambulance and that's all I know third hand at this point.

I would say that 85% of the riders were INSIDE the swim buoys. It just shows how low the IQ is at that riding location and how even lower the IQ is with the instructors. If reading this offends you, then you should think about riding outside the swim buoys. Plenty of riders were within 20 feet of the beach happier than pigs in $hit not recognizing the consequences to themselves and innocent beach goers that would be caused by simple mistakes people make riding every day.

A lot of riders don't realize that it was a guy (won't include names) from a couple counties North that caused the closure of Virginia Key permanently for kitesurfing in Miami. Locals that like to ride at Hobie Beach better start to speak up and protect this spot. If I was a local government official and watched kitesurfing at Hobie Beach on Friday, I would likely ban the sport.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Kiteboarding accident

So I don't know how this reply works, if it's posted on the site or just a reply to the person who wrote it. My name is Ryan, I am the one who crashed at hobe last Friday. Just wanted to say I'm ok, no broken bones just a few bruses and a lot of road rash dr says I'm real lucky considering what he heard bout the event. That day was my first actual consistant ride, I've only been out a handfull of times and most just practicing kite control (guess I needed a little more). Anyways, after reviewing the incedent and talking with someore experienced riders I realized what I shouldn't have done and what to do if I get into that predicament in the future. I will ride again as soon as I heel, and hope my accident didn't draw further attention to an already "heated" launch spot. Also want to say thanks for the cosideration and if this goes up on the page, thank you to all the fellow kiters who helped me out that day
shore1r
Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Glad you are ok Ryan an initial unconfirmed report of a possible hip or worse back fracture is real concerning. Plenty of people have been messed up at Hobie over the years.

What happened in your accident? A large part was left out in the summary above this. Were you riding or standing, how far offshore, what did the weather look like that moved in, etc.?

While Hobie remains open, best policy is to do assisted launches and landings out by the swim buoys, go out well beyond them and stay out until time to come in. No routine riding inside the buoys, despite how many other ill informed or indifferent folks might be doing just that. A percentage will eat car bumpers over time or worse. If a squall is moving in, land well in advance, secure your kite and wait until it passes over.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 PM

Default Reply

Was working on getting outside bouys all day. Walked out a couple times but couldn't stay up wind. Being that it was my first time up and riding and the wind was directly on shore I kept comming in. The wind was lite all day and at the time of the accident I was acctually closer than my ususal riding distance cause I was comming in. I had just got into wakling distance of the beach and was putting my kite in nuteral. That's when the squall came on . I was unaware that squalls were normal for a south west wind and that spot as well, guess that's why my brother was so adiment about me keeping the kite low. Anyways from what I heard it was 35 knot gust that took me up. Never had this happen before so I dint know weather to try and land or pull release but by the time I second giessed it was too late I got dropped on the beach, dragged hit a tree went up the tree (funny saw the birds fly out of the branches as I was going up them) slamed again, dragged and hit another tree I think by that time some one came and released me . So that's the story. Thanks for the advice I will definately use it next time I'm out there or anywere for that matter. Don't want that happening again that's for sure.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thank you for the details. About how far away from the water did you travel, were you lofted off the ground, if so about how high would you guess?

Riding upwind is not realistic for most new kiters, "read, don't try to, yet." Even in calm water, the edging technique takes a bit of time to master adding in power control through sining, sheeting out, in, etc.. through wind variations. As a new kiter, I would avoid conditions in which you have to make upwind, even more so in waves where it is a lot more difficult than on the flat. Sounds like you did well despite that, at least until the end of the day.

What kiters really need to focus on is understanding the hazards and avoiding them. Once a high wind emergency is on, many kiters fail to kill the power in their kite. What do you do if you drive off a cliff? You're screwed, avoid the cliff (squall), in the first place. NONE of the folks that have been lofted and dragged at Hobie ever Emergency Depowered their kites, some were well experienced too.

You should be aware from the forecasts what is anticipated to come in that day. You may even have a clue as to when. Always stay aware of conditions around you, other kiters, boats, clouds, wind speed, direction and temperature changes. Usually, these things don't explode out of the blue, there are lots of tip offs along the way. You have to pay attention though and act early. Just because there is wind, doesn't necessarily mean it is good to go riding or for the entire day.

If you sense severe weather coming on and you royally screwed up by staying out too long and aren't in a position to get an assisted landing very soon, get ready to emergency depower your kite. Get it down low, if you have time pull the trim strap in, push the bar as far out as you can while the kite still flies stably. If you push too far it may stall and fall only to be scooped up by the squall perhaps. As the wind builds you should be able to push it out further. Problem, some folks have shorter arms and may not be able to push the bar far enough out to properly depower the kite, particularly in strong wind. All kiters should have a good idea of how their specific kite reacts when the bar is pushed out and should regularly practice Emergency Depowering.

PROBLEM, if your kite sees excessive wind, EVEN if it is Emergency Depowered by pushing the bar out alone, it may STILL have too much power. If it is low and your feet are dug into the bottom you may be able to oppose some of the force while skiing across the bottom. If you drop the bar, some kites may start to spin although hopefully with little power, maybe, maybe not. In other words, once you've dropped yourself in squall conditions it is uncertain how things may work out.

Solution, stay out of squalls and excessively gusty wind. We lost 21 people worldwide last year, many in excessively gusty wind. By going out in squalls, it is like saying, I'm ok with getting badly injured or killed in this one session. Some will over time. We have to use our brains, not good enough to pretend we're driving golf carts. It is more involved than that.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-26-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

There is some analysis of the last spectacular lofting, 1200 ft., at Hobie at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8477

Some ideas about weather planning for kiting sessions follow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Kiteboarding Weather Planning And Monitoring

1. Marine/Water & Hazard Forecasts
Check reliable forecasts (predicted winds, direction, HAZARD FORECASTS, temperatures, anticipated changes, cold fronts, tropical or strong systems). Anticipate changes don’t fall into them. Not all private weather sites are reliable, use what works well in your area. Will your kite size work for the day or will you need to increase or decrease size at some point. How about exposure clothing, is there a sudden temperature drop inbound?
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

2. Radar and Satellite Maps
Is stormy weather (often bright colored masses), squall lines, isolated storm clouds or feeder bands inbound? Looping weather images can show CURRENT trends and speed. Does it look they will arrive during your session? Temper this with LOCAL knowledge as conditions can change radically in only an hour sometimes, systems can accelerate or stall, etc..
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php
http://www.weather.gov/sat_tab.php?image=ir

3. Synoptic/Frontal Weather Maps
Are there significant weather systems inbound, cold fronts, tropical systems, strong high/low pressure, got tight pressure isobars for strong wind? Look at these maps on loop again to learn about CURRENT trends and speed.
http://www.weather.gov/outlook_tab.php

4. Real time winds
How are winds upweather or the direction of the prevailing system, spikes/gusty and shifting winds inbound? Frequently you can see a preview of what the front will bring to your area, hundreds of miles upweather in advance. It’s a free look at what may be the future, why not take it? If unstable weather is coming avoid it until it passes.
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=201

5. Wind Useable or NOT?
If you decide to go, STAY AWARE, at all times of the weather. Things like cloud lines, funnel clouds, wind direction and velocity, white caps, mist, temperature changes. Typical weather patterns can be recognized within given seasons. Learn what to look for and when to react. Good chance you are a wind junkie already so play the complete roll and tune into wx. Measure wind speed at the launch along with other visual indicators such as white caps, tree and flag movement and ask how other kiters are doing on their respective kite sizes before selecting yours. If you expect a weather change to occur, don't be on the water if something violent comes through. Sometimes the hazardous period can be short so just wait it out.

6. At the beach & riding
Checkout wind speed, direction, sky and water conditions at the launch and during your session. Is the wind useable, are sky conditions stable or threatening? What do threatening sky conditions look like in your area? You should know. Are there dark clouds and/or a wind/whitewater inbound? What about funnel clouds or waterspouts, are there small points showing up at the bottom of clouds? Always be aware of your surroundings, weather changes, ANTICIPATE & REACT early.

7. Squall is almost here!
Land, thoroughly secure gear early, before significant wind, temperature changes or threatening weather arrives. Systems can move 50 mph + hitting with minimal warning. If caught on the water, consider totally or emergency depowering early, waiting too long has taken riders. Be ready to release your kite leash if your kite powers up again. Riding out far from shore may work for ships. Ships don’t get ripped 50’+ from the water and blown at high speed downwind. DON'T WAIT, act early to kill the power of the kite even if it means swimming in after. Your strong swimming skills and impact vest should make that a manageable process.

Want to learn more, plug into your local situation and build up a strong weather sense and knowledge of predictive and realtime weather informational sites. Be careful about less violent gusts. Guys have been injured by gusts as little as 10 kts. above background. Going to 20 kt. gusts you can get YANKED off of the water and blown inland, IF you set yourself up for it with poor technique.

Originally posted at http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7646 on March 14, 2003
Shots from an early, bad lofting at Hobie:

and the story, from seven years ago, to go with:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2296336

Volunteers? Bet we'll see plenty next SW wind day.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi