FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM

Default unhooked

I dont ride unhooked but you guys should definatly try the Eclipse thruster http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=63&Itemid=88 also the nano is a great wake style wave kite unhooked http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=64&Itemid=89 If you guys want me to come over there for a UNHOOKED demo let me know
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Tom Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsedave View Post
I dont ride unhooked but you guys should definatly try the Eclipse thruster http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=63&Itemid=88 also the nano is a great wake style wave kite unhooked http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/i...d=64&Itemid=89 If you guys want me to come over there for a UNHOOKED demo let me know
Dave, actually the nono really isn't very good for unhooked riding. It's pretty bad actually from what I have seen... especially once it hits the water (and I have seen it many many times). Just trust me on that one lol.

The thruster is a lot better imo.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stock View Post
........... especially once it hits the water (and I have seen it many many times).
Yeah, but have you ever seen it go back up? Man, we shoulda got that sh.it on video.
Tom, leaves names out to protect the innocent.
No, no... ah no.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 PM

I think that rider just needed to pump the kite up a little more. The Nano especially needs to be inflated very full for the relaunch to work properly. I actually pump up my Thrusters very full too, makes the performance on them much better...when Dave is up here for the race, he will demonstrate for you guys if you want.

If it were an issue, wouldn't you have seen people kicking and screaming about it before February or March? Spending the kind of money you spend on a kite for it not to relaunch properly would be a real issue and recalls would need to be made. The Nano is a great kite, give em a go when Dave does his next demo, probably after the race. The rider you guys are talking about said the kite was incredible and real nice for unhooked tricks until the relaunch. Like I said, he just didn't have the kites pumped up full enough...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Skyway Scott

He had the kite pumped up hard as a rock, I made sure to triple check that before his second and third outing.
After watching him get pissed the first time, I had to look at his stuff. It seemed "normal" to me.
I have seen this rider struggle now on several occasions get so mad he was yelling. The first time I saw him get mad was a few months ago at the SW. The last time was last week at EB.

Do you think the rider just doesn't know how to water relaunch kites?

You are right about one thing, I would definitely like to see Dave relaunch it during a demo.
It's a total mystery to me right now how that thing appears to stay pegged to the water.
I would like to demo the kite. I just want to be in shallow (walk back) water, if necessary.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM

Default relaunch

I talked to this rider yesterday he said the kite was leading edge down in this case all you have to do is pull the front lines and the kite will come straight up off the water. I was over in naples sat and had 2 6 nanos and one 9 nano out all day and nobody had trouble relaunching the kites the kites just ruled the waves and 40mph gusts. I had a 120lb kid on the 6 and a twintip and at the same time i had a guy who was 215 riding a surfboard. when my brother blows by you guys on the 6 nano and surfboard strappless in the race you will see how powerful the 6 is
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Tom Stock

I am not doubting that the nano kite rides well.

Problem with this kite seems to be that if you swim towards it or let the lines go slack for a moment while relaunching, it'll fly off the water upside down. If you don't then baby it it'll turn into a pretzel, invert, and flip through the lines and land face down forcing you to swim in to sort it all out.

I think something in the bridles are not correct in the design.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM

a note on the rev's safety system.... If you have too many twists in the front lines (3 to 5 is about all it takes, maybe even less) it will NOT flag out on the safety bungee line, and the front lines are almost impossible to untwist with that 2 part grey rope slingshot uses. Unless of course, you do the same trick going the opposite way . This can be a sketchy situation!!! Personally i love the cab switchblades. I have a SB2 16m, SB3 12m and soon a SB3 8m. very user friendly, super stable and predictable. I have flown a few different kites, defintetly not enough to be at all critical of any brand, but i found what works for me and stuck with it. As far as unhooking goes i think 1:1 is easier. There's less bar pressure and you don't have to depower the kite as much prior to unhooking, or at least that's my experience.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Alright, alright... focus on Dan's topic... this looks like a productive thread and I'm now in the market as well for a 9 to advance my riding in higher winds...

As a guy who's owned three different Cabrinha's, crossbows, and switchblade2 and loved them, got to say my Flexifoil 12m is a booster... love the kite and very comfortable riding it... Props to Flexi and Cabrinha for safe kites... most of you know how cautious I am from launch to land...

Also had the pleasure of demoing the Nemesis thanks to Best, Brandon and Stacey... very good kite as well Dan.

As for unhooked... have to say Im not there yet so I'll look to you guys for some input...

And by the way, Hauss could kiteloop on anything... love to watch he ride at LP.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:14 AM

Woodson, I was hoping someone would comment on the Atom. I rode your kite before it was yours and I actually liked it alot, can anyone confirm how well the atom is unhooked?