FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-09-2006, 07:23 AM

Default smaller board

I was out yesterday(12-9) at the south skyway on my wifes 12 m atom and my 152 cm underground flx. I felt I was overpowered and rode most of the day with my kite very depowered to maintain control. I am wondering if a smaller board would have kept me more in control without having the kite so depowered? My wife has a superphatty (132x46 cm). Would this board, as it is shorter(but wider)serve as a higher wind board for me? Both boards are made for light wind. I weigh 185-190. Any recommendations on board make and size? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:49 AM
tomstock

What you want is something narrower so that you can hold down the edge.

The board you have is a decent size, but if you wanted to hold down more you could do down to a slingshot SX132 or something (132x39) smaller and narrower. A smaller, narrower board will let you jump higher (more loading for jumps) and land softer at the expense of narrower wind range.

Small boards are fun if you are comfortable with being lit out of your mind. Billy rides something rediculous like a 122x36. I would not recommend that though, he's only 150lbs and rides extremely powered.

Switching to a smaller kite is more effective but also a hassle.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:02 AM

Will a smaller board track upwind better and not be so squirrelly feeling in conditions like yesterday with a same sized kite?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 AM

tom i don't think billy is only 150, cuz im 155
Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Skyway Scott

At your size Jim, I would be thinking something like the 132 Underground.
Don't go too narrow!! (stick with about 39, max 38.....trust me on that one
If it never lulled here it wouldn't be that big a concern, but this is still St. Pete.

The SP is awesome, but it's not inherently a high wind board.
I think you would have felt about the same in terms of being litt yesterday.
I watched you for quite a bit on the Samba. You were looking great. 8)
Old 12-09-2006, 10:07 AM

I was just happy to be able to ride in conditions that a few weeks ago I would have been too intimidated(I'd have gone windsurfing) :wink:
What I found interesting is after kiting a few hrs yesterday I didn't feel nearly as worked over compared to windsurfing in similar conditions. It seems with Kiting you can dial down your power level so well that even gusty cond can make for a mellow session. Very cool.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:52 AM

It certainly is great when you can stay out on the water when the wind picks up. I usually take 2 or 3 boards so that if the wind picks up or dies off, I can stay out without changing kites. My high wind board is a very narrow 140 x 35. It cuts through the chop smoothly and is a lot easier on my knees than a wider board. My light wind board is a 155 x 46.

Cheers,
Jake
Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Skyway Scott

Jim,

Windsurfing, imo, is about 3 to 5 times more fatiguing than kiting, at least wave riding in 25 knots is.

I use to be pretty tired after 45 minutes of that stuff with a pole board.
Now, with a kite, I can go 3 hours in waves (then I am pretty much toasted).
Glad you made the switch over and that you are liking it (and progressing quickly)

Windsurfing is good, don't get me wrong, but kiting is the way to go
Just curious, are you (in the back of your mind) wondering if you will still be windsurfing in a year?
I still remember my first phone call with you and "my bet". :twisted:
Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Good question...If I can progress to the level where I can rip turns toeside and sail in the ocean maybe not.If I've given it up I owe you a case of beer!
What did freak me out a bit yesterday was i lost my board in that little deep channel, so i thought it would be a good opportunity to try to body drag upwind-could not do it at all. Is it really hard or something? I positioned the kite down low so it was pulling sideways, and extended my arm upwind but it just seemed to pull me sideways and downwind. Lucky for me the breeze blew the board right onto that flat. That would have sucked otherwise.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 PM
tomstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
tom i don't think billy is only 150, cuz im 155
Yeah I guessed. Maybe 170.