FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default GoPro Goes To New York

A bit off topic but interesting all the same. Here is a collection of images taken with a GoPro HD camera in and about Manhattan Island
in New York City recently. There are so many things to shoot there, this is just a small sampling. Have more images with other cameras
but this one is just for the intriguingly distorted images the GoPro delivers.

There are quite a few images of Times Square

The GoPro really is a versatile camera. I routinely use it under, on and around the water, in the air and mountains and now in the Big City.
Tough too, heard about a skydiver who lost his helmet mounted camera exiting the plane. The camera fell 13,000 ft. shooting video and was
still recording on the road it landed on. Takes a heavy licking and keeps video'ing.

The New York Public Library, a notable locale in Ghostbusters. I checked, no slime or flying books anywhere, sort of a let down.

Last time I was in the city was in spring, it was a bit nippy particularly as I forgot to bring a jacket, doh! This time no worries, it was
pretty hot if only in the low to mid 90's.

A massive street fair around Midtown. The buildings loom in for a look.

The Theater District. We weren't there very long but were able to checkout the Spiderman stage production. Some of the mechanical stage
effects were impressive as was the flying aerial performance. Best part, no one was thrown across the theater to slam into something
as in earlier times. It is worth seeing I think.

St. Barts, interesting architecture, they maintain a well kept urban garden too.

The Lady herself. Needed to play with this a bit, the GoPro tends to shorten and fatten her up. So, I stretched her out again a bit. Seemed
none the worse for wear after her stroll through Manhattan in the movie.

You could shoot this city for years and still miss quite a bit worth capturing. A portal at St. Barts.

Looking south from Central Park

A priest goes to war in Times Square. Father Francis Patrick Duffy (1871-1932) served in both the Spanish American War and WWI with
distinction. This is in fact titled Father Duffy Square.

Sherman's statue near Central Park South.

American Eagle Outfitters has some impressive video displays on two sides of their building.

A look east into the city just north of Hell's Kitchen

The new James Bond in western duds does aliens, why not?

The typewriter in the sky. Wonder how much he pays for ink, what's diesel going for in NY these days?

Swinging by Ellis Island. Think your ancestors were among the 12,000,000 who passed through this place early last century?
Why not find out at: http://www.ellisisland.org/ Its free and includes other information from back in the day including images.

I would swear they have improved the display technology in the last three years. The displays seem brighter even in daylight.

More from Midtown, oh I intended to immortalize my finger. Ha!

The South Street Seaport by the Brooklyn Bridge

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge extending 4300 in length with a maximum span height of almost 700 feet. It connects Brooklyn
with Staten Island.

Yellow taxis in New York, they're everywhere. How many are there anyway? They say over 13,000.

The GoPro even makes a crosswalk look interesting

This 180 degree vertical pano needs some work, still it does look strange. Oh, for folks not used to using the stitching software, if a
subject moves it can be deleted in part or entirely. Hence the missing people parts on occasion! It's just a photo, don't lose your
head and stay still.

Back to the library

Another look at Times Square nearing sunset

So, that's a quick look at parts of New York. May crunch a few more images and throw them up. Keep shooting!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-12-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Default Great Pix

Thanks for posting all of these. Seem the perspective the
camera can bring out is impressive. Especially like the
Verazanno Bridge shot. The bridge is so long, the designers/
engineers had to account for the earth's curvature. Your
picture proves it...well sort or.

HRP, III
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

You are welcome and thanks! The lens distortion of the wide angle GoPro can do some funky stuff with architectural photography or goose necks, arms, lots of things. It is fun to play with it for some unusual effects. The Verazanno is an impressive structure. I recall reading about what you are talking about. The top of the cable support structures are a little over an inch wider apart than the base to allow for the curvature of the earth.

I shot some more conventional UW images over the weekend using the camera at http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=48663#post48663

My arm really isn't that long!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi