View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

This was my third time doing this run since last year. My normally slow performance was even slower this time. Missed the start by about 15 minutes going back to change my 9 m for a 13 m, setting up, retuning the kite, twice (first time on a new kite in high wind). Went up thinking I might rig anything from a 7 m, 9m to a 13 m depending on actual wind conditions once the sun was up a bit. The 9 m was the best one to go with but was also the oldest of the three kites with highest bar pressure being an early flat kite. So, opted to use a new 13 m. Had a hard time edging out beyond the pier tacking more than at any other time. The wind had lightened, shifted onshore from side onshore from the north and I was having to sine a 13 m and edge very hard to try to get out. Managed to get past the pier, finally, and spent the next x miles in the breaker zone trying hard to work further offshore with more tacking, strange. The wind finally filled in and the 13 m spent most of the rest of the race around the zenith. Still, despite being well powered, I had some room to go before being teabagged, which may have happened twice coming off wave crests in 60 miles. Had very light bar pressure which was a plus for me. The trouble with riding with the kite near the zenith is that you can't go very fast. Staying well offshore in the breaker zone you can't go all that fast anyway before dealing with breaking waves. Got knocked off the board off the board about five times, once without the reel leash, ouch. Used a pull tie weak link on the reel leash that worked well as it broke once. Managed to roll the kite in a couple of waves and wrap the front and rear kite lines just south of the pier in Juno. Chose to ride like that all the way to Delray. It is interesting how much a wrap effects performance on an overpowered kite. Things got easier once I had it unwrapped at the Delray checkpoint. Think I lost at least 45 min. doing stupid stuff over last years ride just getting past Lake Worth Inlet.

Conditions were lighter than last year's pre-race nuking conditions but the waves were a bit larger and wind definitely stronger than last years actual race. Like last years runs, the waves diminished the further south you went, dropping off as you past each inlet a bit. Unlike last years runs, the wind built or stayed up all the way to the finish after the lulls around my start. Some weather moved over during the run, but fortunately no evil looking clouds or high gusty winds showed up. I was rolled once in the falls off Highland Beach. Fortunately, had the kite low and to the NW just before so I rolled around the lines instead of getting sushi rolled up in them.

Of Palmetto Park Blvd. in Boca I was shooting video while riding along when a manatee surfaced in front of me for air. I have never seen them out in such high seas before. Caught it on video too, stay tuned for the clip. Anyway, I never go into these things to race but to cruise. This time walking may have been faster. I feel like I am going downhill riding south and moving past Delray, things seem to be really downhill and easier. As you pass each inlet, time seems to speed up. Once I was south of Hillsboro Inlet, like last year, I was able to go a lot faster on the calmer water aside from times when the wind would spike up bringing the kite back up to the zenith.

Anyway, it was fun as always, pretty stiff in one leg today after the Jupiter run and 27 + 10 mile run in Naples two days before. Wondering if there are other distance races to happen this season? Hint!

Have to put together a video and perhaps a article with stills. It would really be good to hear from the dozens of other riders in this thing. What is it they say? Oh, yeah, if you don't write it down, it never happened!

So, what happened to you?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-23-2008 at 03:22 PM.