View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Back in October 2001 I tooled up the coast to visit Greg Kuklinski and checkout his new kite line, NEXT in Ft. Pierce, FL. It was developed following the Seasmick line of bridled inflatable kites. These were the original SLE or flat kites years before they caught on in a big way worldwide.

Gangs all here. That is Greg on the right holding the kite, Jeff Beige of Best Kiteboarding today on his left. Out in the water is Irma, the kiting wonder woman along with Mike.

Greg strolls back upwind in failing breeze. Note he is totting a famous Ft. Pierce split tail directional. I think Gebi had one of those for the recent Masters comp. in Miami. The photo was taken before a big beach renourishment project. Glad they got their beach back.

I was looking around trying to find some old Internet information on the line and came across this from ikitesurf in 2001 shortly after these shots were taken in Ft. Pierce. It also followed a really light wind session with a NEXT at the first kitesurfing competition in Florida held in St. Pete:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito
Im looking at getting a Next NKG kite and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with one.
Thanks,
I am also considering getting one because of the great depowering characteristics of the kite, i.e. no lofting? I have tried them out twice. Once with their largest model in winds that were around 13 mph sustained and still did ok. The next time I tried the next size down in faiing winds, but it still handled well and was surprisingly foregiving. The kites are a bit more technical to fly than inflatable sleds drawing characteristics from both sleds and foils. I think that they are worth a go.

Rick
Took over four more years for the industry to snatch on to the concept, develop it and bring a sea change to kiting as we know it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi