View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just came across another local article about the rescue. Apparently, a 39 year old woman and strong swimmer in her own right was involved in the rescue as well.

"
Shelley Robertson
`Hero' mother helps save three in rip
By PETER SWEENEY
02jan05

"SHE'S a hero, she saved our lives," Perth man Graham Barrett said yesterday of Shelley Robertson.

The 39-year-old Swan Valley mother of three shrugged off the hero tag, but agreed that Mr Barrett, his son and nephew nearly drowned at a popular South-West beach in a freak rip caused by the tsunami.

Early last Monday, Mrs Robertson visited a beach at Geographe Bay at West Busselton, near where her parents live.

She and her husband Scott heard a woman screaming and saw people in trouble.

Mr Robertson went into the water, but came out and told his wife: "You'll have to go."

A five-day-a-week swimmer who has competed in the past two Rottnest swims, Mrs Robertson rushed to help Mr Barrett, 53, his son Elliot, 8 and nephew, Rhys Dorrington, 10.

"They had been shot out to sea by a tidal surge and rip from a drain," Mrs Robertson said.

Rhys made it back to shore after ending up on the other side of the rip. Not so, Mr Barrett and his son.

"Graham was filling with water and nearly unconscious by the time I got to him," Mrs Robertson said.

"He was holding Elliot who was talking to his dad and telling him he was doing a great job and that they would be all right."

Mrs Robertson supported Mr Barrett and Elliot for about half an hour before a kitesurfer came to help.

The man hauled Mr Barrett to shore while Mrs Robertson swam with Elliot, who was hanging on to her shoulders.

Mr Barrett, who is still holidaying in Busselton, said: "I was scared and tired and know Elliot and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Shelley and that man with the kite."

From: http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html

I hope to get in touch with Ian by phone to get more details. The article leaves out what happened to the nephew, Rhys. I believe the other article indicates that Ian brought both boys into shore.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi