Thread: snow kiting
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 12:16 PM

I am siting drinking a hot cider and looking at the forum and I had to comment on the snowkiting.

The snow in Colorado has been awsome and just for S&G's I took that slingshot 15m kite of mine. Yes I know it's a water kite, yes I know I'm a level 1, but I've also done dumber things. :-)

I've been snowboarding for years but this was the first time ever with a kite and I can say that I lack the words to describe what a blast it has been. Found a few wide open out of bounds areas to just fly down.

I have discovered a few "different" things:

Jumps take on a whole new perspective; the hang time is incredible and the impact of landings are a lot less brutal. Think of a glide not the "wave your arms to keep yourself on track to stick the landing, while you piss your pants, yelling OH SHIT!!!!, and hope there are no rocks where you are about to land" kind of feeling.

I have to use a F*** ton of edge on the snowboard to work with the kite, it's almost like being towed behind a snowmobile, at a way different angle.

Going upwind.... Ok not figured out how the hell that works on a snowboard.

If I only could figure out how to use that kite on the half pipe I could only dream of the air I'd get...

Now if I could just get my shit together to work as well in the water as I did this weekend.

Have a happy new year, will be back in Tampa on the 3rd....
-Mike