Thread: scam alert!
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM

Default scam alert!

I just wanted to alert everyone to a scam that is currently going on and could mean arrest and jail time for any potential victims. :shock:

Some people are currently selling their gear online on Ebay and other sites. There are people that will offer to buy the gear. Then, after a price has been agreed upon, the buyer will ask the seller to do a small favor. They say that they will send a check/money order for the price of the gear plus some 3-4 thousand dollars. They ask that you cash the check, keep the fee for the gear, and forward the rest of the cash onto a third party.

This is money laundering!!! Money laundering consists of taking fraudulant money that could be from terrorist funding, etc. and "washing it" by placing it into the economy through legitimate means. If you become the third party in a scheme like this, you are at risk for charges taken very seriously since 9/11 and the Patriot Act of 2001. I have actually participated in the arrest of some people involved in this type of activity. Sometimes, they are innocent victims that are conned into participating in a situation like this. Other times, the are very involved and aware of the fraudulant activity. Many times the purchaser will send large postal money orders that many times end up being counterfeit. (I've caught this twice at Amscot).

Anyway, be very cautious when dealing with online purchasers. They are out there looking for an inlet to wash money into the economy from terrorist and drug trade. DO NOT agree to become a third party in a situation like this. (they may try to validate themselves by providing a letter with what looks like legitimate info).

If you have any questions or think you may have been targeted as a victim...be careful and if necessary, contact the police. let us know if you have been contacted to participate in a situation like this... 8)