View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Spleene Boards

Is your board a Door, or a Session? I have a Spleene 159 Door and it's an upwind machine in light winds, and it brings you back to your spot when everyone else is doing "the walk". However, there is one peculiarity if it's a Door. I don't know about last year's model, but mine is the 2008 and has an offset fin configuration. There are four fins altogether; two different sizes. The smaller set goes in the usual location on the heelside edge. The larger ones are located just a bit inboard of the smaller ones and closer to the centerline, still on the heelside. So whenever you're riding heelside you've got the benefit of four fins. If you go to toeside, however, there are no fins there. The rails are really pretty thin, so it's not that much of a problem, but still not as efficient in light winds. I guess the offset fin set-up is what enables the board to track upwind so well. Just a little pressure on the back foot and it seems to go into turbo mode upwind. I can see why some schools teach with the Spleene.

Frank