View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Skyway Scott

Unreal.

I just got back from RIDING... yes I said Kiteboarding!!

Okay... here is the scoop (get some coffee.. this is E-bone'ish)

I got my board, put it together.. kissed it.. took pics of it.. you know .. new board luv!

I am jonesin to ride it, so I hit Cypress at about 3:30. It is blowing ALL of 8-11 (11 max). I forgot my 20m (great I am thinking :roll: ) so I rig my 16m calling myself a loser the whole time.

I hop on in the water in next to nothing and........ UNREAL.. I am riding and going upwind at will. (Oh yeah, it was choppy too.. HOW come its choppy at Cypress ALL the time??!)

Long story short... I was in shock. The board has zero drag.. so it is honestly like riding on ice skates or something. 4 years ago the line of thinking appeared to be.... let's make the biggest kite with as much POWER as possible to power these inneficient POS boards we got.

The new, wiser thinking (IMO) seems to be - let's make a board with the most efficient design to minimize the amount of power necessary to ride, especially in real light winds.
This board is definitely good at doing that. I was planing and moving forward (at about 12knots) with about 8 knots of wind and was really moving out in 10 knots of wind (on a 16m) and jumping (about 5 feet) and having a good time.

Awesome feeling, being powered up in next to nothing. :P