View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI

I've been trying to answer this question by visitors from all over the world for years. What would you expect to find in an area with year round kiting, more kiters per capita than most of the USA, kiting took off here at least five to six years ago and 2.25 Million people with few readily accessible launch areas? Access issues. Finally, I have a good answer to this question:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1509
Guess this could be a hot thread...

Yep, thanks Rick. Very good thread, I have it printed out :-)
I hope so. Please pass the word along. When I was a kid in Ft. Lauderdale, we had two part time dive charter boats. Why? Not much demand and no one had tried to alter things. Today there are well over 50.

Today, they are two boats that run to the Flats on a regular basis that I know about. This could change and make vacation prospects for visitors much better with excellent kiting conditions far away from land in calm shallow water rideable in winds from all directions. I have no business interest in this but I would be very gratified to avoid the access issues for a while. This is a great way to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye
Thanks for all info, its good to be prepared on all levels to be able to get as much kiting as possible on the vacation.

I read on kitebeaches.com that shorties might be required at some spots and Danny says that booties will keep my feet warm. I thougt Florida was blessed with sun and warm weather 365 days a year... :roll:

Anyway, I read that average temp in december is 70ths low 85 high? Is it over 70s in the air, I am happy.

What is warm and what is cold for you guys? I put my booties on pretty late. I am from Sweden, where there are polarbears in the streets and where Santa lives...

This is a few weeks ago... :P

Nippy stuff, I am always impressed to see guys in the Nordic countries going year round. Intense and a bit hazardous at times. Anyway, the booties I was referring to are fairly thin boots, say 2 mm, with hard soles to protect your feet from cutting on shells and glass. Not for warmth. I would think you could leave your polar booties at home.

Our wind from now through perhaps May comes from cold fronts. The temperature will vary with the passage of the front along with the wind speed and direction. Once the front passes the temperature goes back up. The more powerful the cold front the lower the air temperatures will go. Air temperatures into the 70, 60, 50 and even 40's F can and will happen. In December in January I would expect the temps to be in the 70's or higher and perhaps dip into the mid 50's for a few hours. The water temperature is usually a great deal warmer however. In more powerful fronts in the past in December and January we can even have them into the higher 30's at rare times. Light snow flurries on Miami Beach? Yes, but only once every 30 to 40 years or so. Miami runs warmer than much of Florida however a shorty is a good idea and if you can fit it in maybe a 3/2 full wetsuit. Some guys wear board shorts year round in Miami. Don't quite know why, maybe short sessions.

Some temperature and wind records appear at:

http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=1096

Have a good trip. It really is warmer here, honest!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi