Thread: Sz vs nwz
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

I did a little research and I also heard about the Coast Guard new regulation that a SUP board is a vessel. Well in the conclusion of the law it states:1 U.S.C.&3 states that "The word 'vessel' includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water." Given the answers to the questions above and the definition of the word "Vessel" in the US Code, when utilized beyond the narrow limits of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area, a paddleboard is a vessel subject to regulations administered by the U.S. Coast Guard.
After reading what the Coast Guard defines as a vessel ( A Kiteboard is a vessel) Some will disagree but it is a vessel and it is required to follow all the laws that pertain too a vessel. Also any vessel under 16 feet without a motor does not require CG approved registration numbers. Also each state can have different laws about what is required as far as PFD and registration. Arizona had a law that required PFD's while windsurfing. Not sure if that got changed in the mean time. You can also search some of the other kite Forums and find regulation from local government that put restrictions on how close to swim zones your allowed to kite! Having spent 20 years in the Coast Guard as Flight Mechanic and having a brother that Kiteboards and is still on active duty I called him and he also told me a kite board is considered a vessel. I hope people will use a little common sence while Kiteboarding, Windsurfing and SUP so that everyone is playing safe not only for the riders but for the spectators, swimmers, surfers and if something goes horrably wrong the rescuers because if something happens you know who gets the call. We Coasties will always be ready to help! So this is why I voted No! Keeping it safe is the only way to ensure that no one has to worry about closures and restrictions and the racing can only get bigger & better! Warm winds! Mike T AMT1 USCG RET