Thread: we did it....
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Hi guys...

yes Brent...all at once...well...one stop as an approaching squall shut down the wind temporarily at the Carson/Ohio keys just past 7 mile for a half hour...we had a great little picnic on the beach andwere right back in it...

and me too Rick! I always wanted to do this but kept thinking "what if". Well we have some young talented and motivated riders here now that said "lets do it" and I couldn't turn it down. We have a great new unsinkable boat that only draws like 10 inches, has like 3 ft gunnels and turns out is perfect for the run. (so I was motivated)

If you look at it, the Keys don't really curve that much...well they kind of do as we can totally ride a NE in Islamorada but Smathers faces S and NE is offshore...but a SE works fine...SSE is better. But check it out, sometimes the wind kind of bends around as you go further down as well.

The next day I saved the buoy reports for the area (from 10am on) at my home comp...

but yes...the wind did drop in the afternoon and the last leg was more down wind...although nobody changed kites the whole way...two 12 havocs, one 10 havoc and a 9 hi fi...

I'm putting all the info together with pics and vids to help people train for the Challenge...

it was fun...can't wait to do it again...

you see things you just won't otherwise see...