View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaroo View Post
ok thanks for the heads up. I don't know much of the area so anything helps.
I guees if al else fails then it will be a trip to maui or oahu. Thanks for the heads up. I might just be snorkeling but what a bummer to be at a place so nice and not be able to launch my kite. I will be on the kona side but yea don't like the idea of winds dropping out of no where. Well thanks again admin, laroo
The winds might be great in Kona but the odds suggest that they might not be so consistent. The free diving is intriguing around the Big Island. You can go just north of the airport and hit some interesting spots including lava tube outlets. They run charters out at night near there to see manta rays munching on all the plankton they lights bring in.

There are some nice nearshore reefs to the Captain Cook Monument to the south.

Southpoint, way to the south is definitely worth a visit. It has dramatic vertical rock cliffs nice for diving off of, blue water with excellent viz. and grottos. If the wind is honking from the east it might not be that easy an area to free dive around nor will you want to swim into the grottos with much of a wave surge. Still, the scenery is incredible. More at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2046

There are still nice spots further north and even along the eastern shore. Some of the tidal lagoons/lava pools have some remarkably healthy corals. Better than what I see in Florida these days and even on some of the other Hawaiian Islands.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi