View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlaroo View Post
I am going out to the big island and didn't know if I should bring my gear. I want to ride their instead of going you know where. Has any of you guys/gals ever ridden their? I hear they have a-bay but really crowded. thanks for your help
I took gear out there last July but was planning on spending most of my time on the water in Maui and perhaps Kauai. The prevailing winds are E to NE. The windward or eastern shore is usually rocky, endless lava flows with few beaches. What few beaches you'll find are often smaller, crowded and typically protected by shallow reefs. You could do it if you had to but might slam into something hard or get cut up (both?) in some of the limited cases. I would say virtually all the potential launches I saw were for advanced riders to try to avoid problems. If you could find a boat your options might open up say around Hilo or perhaps even South Point.

On the other hand, the west coast has a number of larger beaches but is often in the lee of the trades with offshore winds. This changes sometimes with refraction and thermal winds at time around A. Beach along the northern Kona coast. If there are Kona winds most of the west coast opens up. Kona's aren't all that predictable and I understand can shut off along with the thermal winds suddenly.

Bottom line, I wouldn't focus on kiting when visiting the Big Island. There is so much more to see and do that is unique to the place. Save the kiting for Maui if you can make it over there and if the trades are kicking. The winds have been a bit unusual over the last year or so I understand.

Have a good trip!