View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Kevin has had a serious brain injury. I understand he forgets things within minutes and has very poor short term memory. I experienced this for almost a month after my injury.

Out of concern for the rise of negative sentiment in the kiteboarding community, I spoke with his mother by phone today for the first time. She was present during the two hour shoot that was condensed into the four minute GMA broadcast. She said Kevin was asked three times would he go out in such conditions again. The first two times he said no emphatically. The third time when the interviewers decided to go live, he said yes, astonishing the people present. He kept confusing the storm with a hurricane, wind speeds and still other details. If his injury is anything like mine, the confusion, poor recall are intense. They are also fairly obvious. I understand he made several comments that might have helped things which were left out of the broadcast.

I understand he may be facing $75,000.00 in medical expenses without insurance. Interviews may help with these expenses although perhaps not substantially so. At the same time, interviewing someone recovering from head injury with impairment isn't a great idea either. It potentially damages his credibility, his statements and that of the media carrying the broadcast. To portray events as otherwise is to no ones credit. All this at a time when it might be best that he focus on healing.

I just learned from his mother that interviews were given to Nightline and Inside Edition as well. Astounding. I contacted a person (producer?) with Nightline and expressed all these concerns and followed it up with an email summary. I said many in kiteboarding were very concerned about the harm potentially being done to the sport by the original video clip and possibly in response to subsequent interviews. In addition to identifying some of the points listed, I asked that an expert be interviewed to provide an accurate view of the sport and ways of avoiding problems. There must be dozens of kiteboarders (not me either) out there that could help to put things to rights in a broadcast. She was sympathetic, said she would forward the email and was uncertain if the Nightline segment would run given the Democratic Convention coverage. A person well placed in the Kiteboarding Industry is trying to do the same thing with Inside Edition.

We have had so many donation drives here and elsewhere over the years. We go in with a simple expectation, to help others, the need is still there. In this case I leave it up to your judgment what you choose to do with these new developments. I am still reeling myself.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.