Thread: Kite Lines
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Skyway Scott

We all just want you safe and having fun.

Don't put the rear line setting on the knot closest to the kite! It will be too powered up. Put it on the knot 3rd in from the furthest from the kite, to start.

When you launch (before actually), depower the kite all the way at the pull/pull strap. Tune it/trim it to ride once you are out in the water.
It's possible the front lines might stretch a little after riding the kite a few times. If they do, you will want to attach the rear lines even further away from the kite on the knot setting to compensate.
I would go to the WSW course. It can't hurt, the price is right, and you will meet people.
You will most likely learn a ton of stuff that sometimes takes a full year to learn on your own. Especially about local conditions.

The above advice about rigging assumes the kite lines are "just right", out of the bag. They may not be. (Relieve me of responsibility).
I personally NEVER launch a kite in serious wind for the first time. I always tune the kite with the new bar and lines in light winds, first.
There is literally no one in hell I would hand Donna a kite "out of the bag" in anything more than 12 knots.
Best to check it in lighter stuff first.
Most kites today come "ready to rock", but better safe than sorry. I have seen kites be WAY off on the line set, and have whacked guys pretty good.