View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Skyway Scott

I just gotta share

My very first job (out of college) was as a marine scientist with the Canaveral National Seashore. 13 years ago, this HUGE whale washed up on the beach about 10 miles from where they launch the rockets/shuttles. It was HUGE.

Well... it was in a "fairly" desolate area, but still, some people saw it that visited the area.

After about a month, you could smell it a mile away (literally).
We had access to whatever we wanted at that job, and I decided that the best solution was to blow it up! This was done a few times in California, so I figured WTF! How else you gonna get rid of it? You gonna carry out over your shoulder?

The rangers and everyone else (especially army corps of engineers) were very excited about this "project" (Boys and their toys. :P )

Well, we dug a tunnel underneath it (I almost puked, the smell was unreal) and put ALOT of C-4 "in the hole" (several actually spaced out)

Myself and two others then went up in a helicopter above the "beast"
The pilot INSISTED on staying close (approximately 80 feet above it and 80 feet to the side. He wanted to see it explode AND he insisted on "pushing the button" (all these guys were Viet Nam vets and VERY excited... as was I)

Well, when the button was pushed.. lemme tell ya'.. shit flew EVERYWHERE at heights we never imagined possible.

I wish I had that on film.

Yes, it still smelled horrible out there for about 3 weeks, but the process was sped up drastically by creating more surface area and dispersing the carcass. Man, it was FUN!