View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks for getting in touch. I regret hearing about the new restrictions. Is this spot on the ICW just to the west of the cruise port?

I am glad that you are making inquiries. Have you gotten in touch with Lathium or Greg about this? I copied this email to them.

I would continue to try to find out the basis for the new ban as tactfully as you can. So often these problems seem to be born of mistaken perception and perhaps negative impressions caused by the few. Mentioning that Senator Kerry, possibly the next USA president is committed to the sport may help to build some credibility for kiteboarding. Your public service plans sound like good ones. Martin Kirk has done this sort of thing for years out on Maui to good effect. Some other ideas for public efforts that you might do appear in the article "Staying Alive" at: http://www.aka.kite.org/KiteBoarding.shtml

Under: "Interacting With the Community"

One thing that I was thinking of doing in PBC years ago, was a Charity Kite-a-thon Downwinder. It would be a coastwise downwinder with riders taking pledges for donations for miles completed. The overall distance wouldn't be horrific or out of reach. I was planning on trying to secure corporate pledges with employee matching to beef of the pot. There would have to be a safety plan, chase boats and rider briefing. Before I would have insisted upon AKA rider insurance but sadly that no longer exists. Absent insurance, the logistics might be a bit daunting today but it is still a highly visible, public event with an excellent charity cause of your choosing. I even thought of having buoys or shore marks at which a brief expression session would kicked in with judging. There would be a wrap party with prizes (certificates donnated by restaurants or shops, etc.). At the time, 2001 or 2002, the image of 30 to 50 riders moving en masse down the coast of a heavily populated area struck me as an excellent photo op. for choppers, boats and a positive showcase for the sport.

Please let me know what you find out.

Rick

>
>Rick;
>Hey I'm from the Cocoa Beach area! Be advised the Port Canaveral Authority posted the little known Kiting spot called locally as Little Hatteras with No Trespassing signs! This area is located just off the SR 528 interchange loop to the cruise ship terminals in the Banana River! In phone calls to the Port Authority no one there seems to know aything about it, but yet they posted the signs with their name on it! I have started a discussion with a local state Representative to try and resolved this matter equitably hopefully.
>This spot just happens to be one of my better videoing areas of our locals like Lathium, Greg, Michele and others!
>In an effort to better promote the image of Kitesurfers of Brevard County, I and several others are trying to organize a Brevard Kitesurfers Blood Drive, of course with PR in local news and TV!
>Drop me a line and any advice or comments!
>May the Winds Blow in Your Favor

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi