View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Sure, I can make guesses about them in the future on occasion.
I don't have nearly as much free time these days as in the past though, so I may not being paying much attention. But if I think it might blow, I will make a windy text post.

The guesses will only apply to the area around PaG, because one more thing to mention is that with s.b.s - it might blow good at PaG and suck at TI (that's actually common) one day - also, sometimes it will blow pretty good at Cypress and not blow at the beach. This area really does have a lot of variability, both spatially and temporally. So "it's gonna sea breeze today" doesn't necessarily mean the whole coast.

When asked by out of towners or new riders about the Tampa Bay area, I have always referred to our area as potentially one of the BEST spots in the country to kite (we have SO many spots and every direction covered) - if ONLY we had consistent wind (which we have anything but). In other words, I don't think this area is that great for kiting, all things considered.
If it were, I wouldn't have wasted literally hundreds of hours tossing my brain with stupid "wind model guessing tricks" so that I could try to ride once a week when the wind popped up for 2 hours.
So many other things would probably be different as well. For example, we would most likely have a big school similar to Real's and probably have weekly races like in San Fran, is my guess. The wind is too "spotty" to schedule with confidence and frequency though.

Oh well... it just makes it a "special occasion" to have (good) wind, when it actually does blow.

(Scott)

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 01-15-2010 at 08:36 AM.