View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Definitely cool seeing things in the water. For me, that's at least half the fun of kiting and never gets old.

The one thing I don't want to see again for a long time though is a sting ray injury to my foot. Ouch. I have spent literally thousands of hours walking in salt water environments and never been stung... til today. I did marine research, primarily of sea grass beds and related shallow water areas, and logged at least 3,000 hours walking where rays are, is my guess. Today I got hit for the first time by a ray. The irony is I saw how many there were, shuffled and took precautions... and still got hit. So... not convinced about shuffling
They are THICK out there in some areas, so just beware.
I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance and I have to say, that was a very painful experience.

If hit, it's gonna hurt for hours. What helped me was soaking my foot in water as hot as I could bear and pain meds provided by Dr. Cornel. Ice made it worse. Vinegar is 'sposed to help. I actually just recommend the drugs. That definitely worked.
I am still surprised by how much it hurt and that I couldn't zone it out. Usually I can zone out pain. I hope no one else experiences that this summer.

Going tarpon fishing tomorrow Been a couple times in the last few weeks and the tarpon and the white bait are ridiculous in a few areas. Been seeing lots of fish off the beach as well. Mainly whiting, pompano and snook. The health of the area's waters have been getting better and better for years around here, and the improved fishing is just one reflection of this.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 05-30-2009 at 07:51 PM.