View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

This was the first large kiting event in Florida, the Kiteboard Masters on Miami Beach in March 2002. As to identities, I'll take a stab at it. Could use some help with the gaps. In Photo 1, you have Neil, Pete Cabrinha, David Tyburski, Chuck Patterson. In Photo 2, Dimitri, Christopher Tasti, Julian Sadrat (?) Photo 3, Shannon Best, Matt Cohen, Andy Hurdman, Mauricio Abreu, Chuck again. Photo 4, Bruno, unidentified girls who lost their tops but can dance and Jeff Lagosse (definitely mispelled, sorry Jeff, nice moves though). Photo 5, the Hurdman Bros. riding for F One as I recall. Photo 6, is that Chip Wasson sitting on the table?, Martin Vari is standing in profile and there's Jeff Beige off to the right. Photo 7, Dave Loop, Bruno again, Paul Menta and Brad Lange. In Photo 8, Tophat launches, searching for some major uplift, say to over 200 ft.? (only when he is on camera). As I recall Erik Ecks notable lofting happened a few months later out in Oahu. Finally in Photo 9, Christophe Ribot and Dr. Fabrice.

It was a fun event even if the wind was sort of light. Set in the midst of a massive sports event with about 100,000 attending it was a notable point in Florida kiting history.

Here's a few more shots:

Andy rigs big, not a lot of depower in 2002. Nice hair cut.

Before Best and women in kite marketing, there was NEXT. Nice job Greg! What is it about kiting and rabbits?

I recall this is Martin Vari's cousin, shortly after to appear in a now fairly famous photo sequence.

Dimitri performs his now signature beachside dismount

Ryan chats with Chuck while Martin talks in the background. Vari's kiting career was to take off in a big way in the next few years. Then again, how many other notable figures in kiting that show up in these images can you say that about?

Photos by Rick Iossi, all rights reserved.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi