View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 PM

Good luck out there. Seeing this kind of behavior can be a real buzz kill.
I agree with you, Kevin. I couldn't care less if people want to kill themselves or break all their bones. But breaking other's is not cool.

Try to not let it kill your buzz Kevin. I understand how overwhelming it can be if you are mindful of other people's safety. You start to feel obliged to confront every rider doing this stuff. But, then you don't ride (you can't ride AND talk to someone on the beach), your attitude gets adjusted (poorly) etc. Where do you draw the line? (do you come in from riding every time you see a close call?) You might try for a couple years, then just stop. I have seen several people go through this frustration. If every single rider confronted each problem in turn, every guy/gal would only need to confront one problem a year. Thing is, most turn their eye. I have even gotten to that point at times. It seems pointless when most don't seem to care enough to take the time to talk, etc.

So, I really don't have any answers regarding getting these guys to change. It's unfortunate there aren't some simple rules in place that all riders follow.
I feel strongly that this boils down to a personal view regarding personal freedoms vs. the public good. Therefore, it's not as easy as just informing them of what they are doing. In all likelihood, if they are endangering others, their view is that personal freedom trumps community concerns. Your value system (stating not to jeopardize others) is probably pretty foreign to their own. And the words coming out of your mouth probably sound like Vietnamese (maybe Martian). Hence, the blank stare you often get.
Maybe I am wrong. Maybe every time you make someone aware they are jeopardizing others they stop instantly. I don't think so though. I think those doing this type of stuff are too self-absorbed to even contemplate others.
I wish I was more positive about this view. Unfortunately, it has not been my reality.

Anyway... take it easy.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 09-01-2010 at 12:41 AM.