View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Default Cocoa beach kiting regulations

Thanks for your reply Rick.

To all kiters in Cocoa Beach area.
These are rules that have been around, and we can review them briefly.

1. No kiting near a lifeguard station. Lifeguard stations are marked with flags or signs on bothe sides. Lets keeps a clear buffer to prevent pissing anyone off. If you must kite in the lifegurard area (such as Jetty Park), it is only after they have gone home for the day which is usually after 5pm.

2. NO setting up and launching in parks or crowded areas. Most obviously, Cherie Down park, Coconuts, Jetty park, lori wilson, sherpard, and so on. Again see rule number 1. If you must park in that park, then walk several blocks away from the crowd, but DO NOT kite in front of swimmers or the lifeguard area. ITs ok crash into surfers but no one else~LOL.

3. When passing crowded areas during a downwinder, stay offshore at least 500 feet until you are clear of area. If passing while landboarding, please keep kite high and go very slow. Be sure to smile and wave while they take pictures .

4. No matter how shitty your session, or how badly you want to get out there already, always Be friendly so they (non-kiters) dont think we are rude bunch. Make them spread the word how great we are, "those kiteboarders are so friendly, I think I should have sex with all of them".LOL

5.At "the slick" AKA bicentennial park do not park in the grass. I know we have been parking there for years, but it really pisses the town off. Trust me DO NOT PARK IN THE GRASS, unless the lot is full. It is a small lot and on weekends can get crowded so park close, and leave room for the trailers.

6. If there is a newbie, be sure they have had a lesson, and are following rules. If they have not tell them to learn in there own backyard, because we will not lose our beach for someones selfishness. If you see someone flying a trainer kite and they are standing near the water so that walkers have to go under there lines, please tell them to reposition themselves. Or any unreasonable actions, please let them know.

7. Leave with what your brought and a little extra. Make efforts to clean up what you brought to beach. Dont be afraid to take a little extra trash with you. And stop leaving glass bottles. You know who you are and so do I. It is not cool to slice your foot open, every freakin week. If you see someone leave glass, be sure to place it under there tires so they remember to take it next time.

8. Any cash found on the beach please let me know, as I might have lost some. I dont remember how much or when, but trust me it is mine. Are you still paying attention. Good read on...

9. No kiting at Patrick AFB. If caught they will lock you up and shove bamboo under your fingernails. But really, no kiting there.

10. Try to prevent walking on dunes, or setting up on dunes. Do not pull vegetation from dunes or sand. Our beaches are clearly washing away, and this does mean more water for us, but also less beach. Not to mention, this angries the locals very much.

Please follow these rules, take them serious. Weed throught the sarcasm if any found and spread the rest. It is a quick start to a final copy of local rules. If we follow safe guidlines, we will continue to have happy kiters on this terrific unrestricted area. It is the accumulation of the little complaints that raise issues.

Want to know where to kite, questions about the above, give me a call anytime.
Brett
321 Kiteboarding
321 302 5663