Thread: Right of Way
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Scott's on the money and so is the sign, riders on starboard tack (right hand forward, Heal-side edge) have right of way over riders on port tack, which makes them the stand-on vessel and a port tack rider the Give-way. A stand on vessel must maintain course and speed until the crossing situation is over.

If there's any doubt i usually just cut noticeably downwind and wave with my hand for the other rider to hold his/her course upwind. I know it puts me in a potentially dangerous situation being downwind, but i'd rather make my actions clear before there's doubt as to who should get out of the way. (seeing as many people don't know who has right of way.)

Another right of way scenario is for people launching and landing, if you see that a rider is attempting to leave from the beach, and another rider is coming in off the water, unless there are overpowering/dangerous conditions and the rider on water must come off, he/she should give way to rider attempting to leave beach. Being in the water and riding (so long as you are a proficient rider) is a much more controllable and safe situation than a rider being on land trying to get out.

Other situations include orientation to wind if on same tack and maneuverability. If two riders are on the same tack and one is slightly to windward of another, the leeward (downwind) rider has right of way until he heads so high upwind that he causes the windward rider to alter course than the role's change. Other things like if you see a rider standing in the water with a kite, or people doing lessons (although they should not be in an interfering place to begin with) these people are less maneuverable than a rider coasting along at speed and for that reason the more maneuverable rider should give way.

Personally i believe sailing regulations must be carried over into this sport as they are in windsurfing. We do our best to teach all standardized sailing terms and practices in our lessons. (Starboard/port/windward/leeward...ect) and people that are unfamiliar or have questions about certain aspects we will happily bring up to speed in a quick free chalk talk at the beach. We have whiteboards that we can easily depict the different scenario's on.

Thats my 2 cents kind of jumbled in there, if there's any questions or things that need to be clarified, we'll be at east beach all day enjoying the very gnarly winds.
-matt