Thread: Right of Way
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Right of Way

Right of Way

So I’m looking for some advice/opinions on Right of Way. Not even necessarily right of way but best course of action. I’ve been boating and sailing my whole life and I’m very familiar of Right of Way. However, I’ve found that things can get a little ambiguous while kiting… especially when it’s congested. For one, I can get as frustrated (or maybe even a little more) as when boating, while observing so many with such little understanding of proper navigation while kiting. Not that I’m entirely without fault. I’ll openly admit that I've taken the wrong course several times when first being forced to deal with the chaos that can occur on busy days. Though they always turned into learning experiences that I like to think I’ve corrected. Albeit, I did screw up last Tuesday when it was blowing…

I was down close to Billy who looked like he was giving a lesson. About 30 or 40 yards upwind of him was a guy sitting in the water with his kite at neutral. I was shooting as far upwind as possible and was going to end up either between him and Billy or 10-15 yards upwind of him. I didn’t think he was aware I was approaching and it looked like he was getting ready to take off. To make things worse there was a girl standing in the water (with no kite) about 15 yards upwind of him. So I decided to fly my kite as high as possible and pass him upwind (about 10 yards by the time I got there and maybe 5 yards downwind of the girl). And so I ended up bumping his kite He didn’t seem too bothered (may have been the same guy that had recently passed 5 yards downwind of me with my kite at 12 and gave a little cut in towards me jokingly as if to spray me). Anyways gave a quick apology and kited away feeling that I had really screwed up ops: If it’s someone that reads this forum, I'm really sorry. So the point being I still make errors and try to be understanding of others that are still figuring this out as well. In hindsight, I should have just changed tack and approached again from a better vantage point. I definitely won’t make that mistake again. Another lesson learned.

The one thing I truly understand is that more important than who has the right away, take all measures necessary to avoid a collision. Never assume (or use as an excuse) that you unquestionably have right of way, and expect the other guy to bear off. Never assume that the other guy even has a clue as to what right of way is.

Something I’m still a little vague on though (and the point of this post) is when I’m approaching someone who is on a starboard tack (I’m on a port tack). I’m marginally upwind though and I’m not certain whether they stand a chance of making it upwind of me or intend to (but it’s close... let’s say within 20-30 yards). What really makes it confusing is when they don’t indicate their intention (e.g. they are sining their kite or flying the kite low but not really bearing downwind and off of our seemingly inevitable intersection as they are upwind of me). Sometimes I hold my ground upwind but they pass me with their kite high! Or sometimes I give way and shoot downwind and occasionally I’ve been told (then and there) I shouldn’t have done that. That because I was upwind, even if only marginally, I should have allowed them to pass downwind. Though this feels like I’m forcing someone who technically has the right of way downwind. My feeling is that if I don’t know what someone’s intention is and they are on starboard tack, I should typically pass to the leeward side. It gets a little confusing.

Hope my question isn't to unclear... if it is just ask and I'll clarify

Last edited by zenlikeme; 03-06-2008 at 05:33 PM.