View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Skyway Scott

I am going to listen to that. I have never listened to a podcast.

It sounds like we are all saying the same thing, maybe. I do think ultimately we will have to agree upon a distance from shore.

I also think that winter time riding and spring/summer riding along the beaches are two different animals. In the winter time I don't see an issue with a bunch of us doing a DW from X to Y, the entire time in the swim zone. Why? Well, who is out in 55 degree water on a winter day in waves? Only us, surfers and windsurfers for the most part. Also, hardly anyone is on the beach. In areas where there are surfers we have kept a safe distance from what I have seen.
If an "official rule" is truly enforced, winter time DW's won't be the same (we actually have waves then)

It's starting to be the time of year that more people are in the water (a lot more) b/c it is warming up and the beach is just flat out jammed. We will be getting tons of seabreezes here soon, as well as spring breakers. It's personally my favorite time to ride. If we can come to an agreement about distance from shore and honor it, we will be better off.

It's been said, but it'd be best if we regulate ourselves to a particular rule, rather than have a stiffer one jammed down our throats or a ban, I think.

After reading everyone's inputs, it's sounds like the swim zone markers might be what we agree to. Why? (up until recently, I usually rode more like 100 feet, btw) Because they apply to powered craft for one. Also, if you are going to stay a certain distance away from shore anyway (like 2 kite lengths), you may as well add 100 more feet. And possibly most importantly and I thought a good point by Whitey, it's a visual reference that shows the public you respect a boundary. For me, that's a biggie.
That's mainly what we are trying to do with most of our self-regulation is show the public we want to be respectful users and be a part of the entire community, right?

I am sure we can come to an agreement. We all want the same thing. The past really is the past. It's gone... pooof. So pointing at yesterday's actions really is pointless. Upholding our word from hear on out will let us point toward tomorrow. It's important we hold ourselves accountable (obvious cliche', I know).

Anyway, one step at a time. At least the conversation is happening, even if not always lovey, dovey.