Thread: New guy
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM
E-Bone

For the money, I would go to OWC from several days straight versus going to OBX. We'll have wind here in a few months. When it shows up, you want board skillz. It's eazier to fly the kite with the board solidly under you.

Instead of blowing big $$$ going to OBX, spend about $30 - $40 per day at OWC (for which you can ride all day), bring your kiteboard and ride it, if you don't have a kiteboard, rent a demo at the pro shop once you start getting up on the free boards. Try a wakeskate. Experiment and get some free advice from the dudez who run the cables. Stay off of the sliders until you progress to at least intermediate board skillz. You can lose teeth on those bitches (I've seen it) or thrash your body eating shit (I've done it).

Crash at a friend'z house in Whorelando each night. If you don't know anyone in Whorelando, rent a sleazy room for about $30.00 a night near OWC, you'll be wiped out and won't even be bothered by the fighting in the parking lot.

I struggled with kiting, even after a full camp in OBX. A month later, I went to OWC 5 times over the course of a week, then went out and kited Matanzas Inlet my very next sesh. OWC is a great resource to have and the two hour drive is easier than 16 hours to OBX.

Try to go to OWC several days in a row so you can build on each day's progress. Your arms will be sore, but it is worth the effort for the board skillz. It's also much less painful to eat crap on the cable than behind a boat.