View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 02:54 PM

Thanks Rick. I appreciate the info.

I believe that "towing up" can, and will, become a standard kiting procedure in the near future. And yes, I completely agree that it is extremely dangerous, especially once you get over the 75 foot range. Once you are over 100 any mistakes pretty much mean death.

But here's the thing.....

I don't think it has to be dangerous. The more and more Billy and I have done it the easier and safer it seems. We usually only go to about 40-50 feet. (the 125 footer was just to test the limits and see if it was possible).

Every time we go out we figure out something that works better and safer. For example, we used to go really fast and tow up quick then let go and float down. Problem is it was overstressing the gear which can cause breakage. Now we go very slow and use a very large kite (18-20 m)
This solved several problems.
1.) We only need to go about 15-20 mph on the ski. The flier controls the height by sheeting the bar in and out
2.) The tension on the ski rope is very light. (we can actually pass the bar behind our backs and go the other way)
3.) A large kite provides more canopy and a slower descent.
4.) You DON'T have to let go of the ski rope. I rode all the way up to 125 then slowly came down to the water all the time holding the tow rope. I've seen bill ride at about 35-40 feet high for minutes at a time.
5.) NEVER tow up in more than 12-14 knots because you accelerate laterally to fast on your trip down. It takes about 12-20 seconds to float down from 125 ft. If the wind picks up to 25 then you will be doing at least 25 when you hit the water.
6.) Flat water is helpful
7.) Complete communication and trust between driver and flyer is critical.

Here's my point. I am 100% POSITIVE that towing up will be standard in 5 years. Unfortunately someone has to be the test pilots and work to advance the gear so that it becomes safe. Someone has to learn the points i listed above. And there is a lot more to learn.
7 years ago my first kite was a 7 meter foil and was anything but safe. It had no sheeting, no brakes, and pulled like a truck. Now any fool can learn to kite safely in a week.

I believe that we can make towing up that safe also. It's just gonna take some time and improvements to the gear.

It is way too addictive not to catch on. Whether you are 25ft or 125ft the feeling is as close to flying as you'll get without a plane. It makes regular riding seem kinda boring. Plus it's perfect for the summer 10-12 knot days.