View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Ken,

I didn't even finish, but I totally agree with your comments about riding on the shore. Many racers clearly rode the shore for tens of miles at a time, including before and after the check point. Independent of wining or losing the race, this clearly puts us at risk for having future events. I do know that riders mentioned the fact that many people rode on the beach the entire way. The advantage was huge in more ways than one. Rules actually make events more fun as long as everyone follows them.

i don't think that the lifeguards really knew much about the race. At Deerfield, the head guy didn't know anything. It is best to police these events just like any other sailing event. It is policed by the riders. In this case a few riders did report indiscressions as requested by race management, but I'm not sure if anything happened. I was riding with big Damien T. on the outside for quite some time, it was bouncy and slow as hell. I'm sure that he would have liked to ride the flats on the inside with that 14 meter of his! In short, if you want rules taken seriously, enforce them, if not, let them run.

The DVD will surely be interesting... it's going to need some careful editing to take out the lifeguard stands, buoys, and add another 80 yards of water. ha ha ha!!!

At any rate it was a great event, but probably needs to get tightened up a bit. Congrats to all and see you in Tampa.

Kent