Thread: sea breeze
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Skyway Scott

I have to agree. I wouldn't recommend trying my or other methods without guidance and practice. I thought about it after posting the vids and deleted them when I realized someone could get screwed fast (especially the way I do it). It's not that my method is dangerous (if you do it right), but if you are clueless or just guesstimating, you will probably tangle your kite around bystanders, if at the beach.

Different people feel differently about things (big surprise), but I personally have no problem asking someone (non-kiter) to hold/launch my kite for me when it's crowded and windy. So that's an option, in my mind. (Not interested in debating it, btw).
As long as no one is immediately downwind and I pick the most open spot I can, it's about the same as relying on a stake in my mind.
Just give them loads of info and don't rush it. If they screw up, it's about the same as any other launch getting botched and if no one is downwind... oh well.
I usually pick a big guy, if possible. I have done this at least 50 times over the years. Only one went bad.

I never ask for help with landing, personally. I think that's a really bad idea.
For one, you can't show them how to do it... and words alone basically suck compared to visual demonstration with words.

Well, it's windy, I am outta here. :mrgreen: