View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM

What I see a lot of people doing is sending the kite from too low, cranking it too far back, and swinging (pendulum) up under the kite. (10:00-2:00-10:00)
Try this:
With medium speed, ease kite from 9 or 10 closer to 11:00 and get ready. Send the kite ONLY to 12:30, and spring off your back foot with a quick snap (carve) away from the kite (upwind) to get a clean release and load tension on the lines. Sheet in and bring the board up (pull your knees towards your chest) to grab with your back hand, which will stabilize you in the air and force you to redirect the kite forward again. The front hand should be adjusted according to the speed of the kite to redirect properly.
High wind/ fast kite= hand in close
light wind/ slow kite= move hand out
To review:
11:00>send>snap away>sheet in>knees up>grab.

The landing is all in the front hand- If you're dropping like a rock, scoot your hand out 2 inches and try again. If you're landing hot, scoot your hand to the middle.
You can ease your landings with the board pointing slightly towards the kite, but immediately start carving back upwind once you get your edge back.

Don't worry about going big, just get the technique and timing dialed. Once you get the rhythm, one footers and board offs aren't too far away.
Hope that helps.
Gnarr- Not sure who you are, but find me at SW or EB and I can loan you the radio helmet and talk you through it if you want. (headed to SW now)
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com