Thread: Sz vs nwz
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

I literally had to do a double-take here...I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would suggest or promote the idea of running a race inside the buoys. This is very disturbing to believe that it's even suggested. But this time I don't think it was a "typo".

IMO this would be like running a car race thru St. Pete and saying...go ahead and take a short cut over some spectators. Many people do training sessions for these DW races, so this would also imply that it's OK to do your practice sessions inside the buoys?

Citing the local maritime rules is one thing...but The reality is that - on an average day, when you might see a few kites on a 10 mile downwinder - people will ride inside the buoys occasionally and with discretion to hit the best sections of waves. In MOST CASES these riders are considerate to swimmers and surfers and give a wide berth. And in MOST cases I would say these downwinders are being done safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
... I'm not sure of the distinction between racers and kiters. If anything, those racing are far more aware of obstacles in the water and have been warned as such. Freeriders are often far more into relaxed riding and probably not as aware of their surroundings. It's probably different for everyone, but I know that this is true for me.
Are you serious???

The problem is that when you have 70 racers who are told that it's absolutely fine to go inside the buoys, going as fast as they can, sometimes at close quarters, fighting for position, it would be counter-intuitive to believe that they would be able to give the same level of attention or consideration as if they were doing a chilled downwind session. Running a race inside the buoys could potentially ruin it for everyone...as in...banning kiting near some of our beaches. Why would anyone even tempt such a fate????

On big days the hardest place for many to ride is somewhere just off the beach and out to the sandbar because of currents, shorebreak, obstacles (people, swim buoys, etc) in the water. What I see - when a rider cannot bust thru the shorebreak he takes the inside line with as much speed as possible, usually within a line length of the beach, so he can break out at the next opportunity...or keep riding the smooth water just off the beach, which is NOT cool.

If people aren't good enough to ride the conditions outside the buoys - then get off the race course. Plain and simple. Make your donation and go out for a session in a location/conditions you can handle. No shame in that.

Please run the races well away from the shoreline at all points along the course.

PS...also, there are sections along the St. Pete/Clearwater shoreline where there are fixed objects, jettys, etc in the water (e.g. the groins North of Johns Pass). Depending on tide sometimes these are not visible until the last second and could be deadly. I get spooked every time I ride past them. Local riders may know about this, but visiting riders probably would not, and even if covered in a skippers meeting, these are serious hazards to be avoided, especially on a big day. This sort of situation probably exists anywhere where you will do a big DW race and best to avoid them by setting a safe and proper course.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas

Last edited by robertovillate; 03-19-2010 at 08:48 AM.