View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 PM

I drove by the Gandy bridge the other day and try to envision over 100+ kites along the sand. That is going to be one sick site. Congrats to all that are making this historic race a reality. Should be epic.

I am no race guru by any stretch....but a friend of mine who raced Hobies gave me some good advice. He said if something is going to go wrong, it will probably be at the start with all the congestion. So if your not planning on winning the thing....wait patiently for a good opening and go for it. I know of some good riders last year that got hung up on the start and never even got to finish.

Take some time to practice your self rescue. I think I won the self rescue award last year. Many get new kites, but don't practice the technique of self rescue on the new gear. Know what to expect from your gear, and it will treat you well. Wear a knife. Lots of obstacles out there. Get a waterproof case for your cell phone and bring it with you. I think with as much coverage that this race will get, we will send a bad message by not having some type of flotation. Use Google Earth and study the course well. Don't overdress for the temps as you will be working very hard.

I will gather some instructors before the race to review self rescue techniques with anyone that wants to go over specifics with their gear. Each kite is different.

Alright lets race already!!!!!!