View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just spoke with the Park Manager. Christophe and Francisco about how things went in Crandon over the weekend with wind and the new rules. From what I understand things went quite well. There weren't tons of riders but that is OK as the new system comes online. It must be nice to have a big chunk of that riding area all to yourself. THANKS to everyone that has been pulling together to make kiteboarding SUSTAINABLE at Crandon Park.

Certified riders are registering, picking up and dropping off streamers, using helmets, using the designated launch corridor and having a great time on the water at this flat water spot. I am impressed by what people are doing to preserve access here.

For those that may not remember, SCUBA diving went through a similar process quite a while back when certification came online along with manditory BC & pressure gage use, maximum depths, etc. on charters. People didn't like it, at first, but in time they got over it and focused on what is most important. That is preserving the fun and the ability to practice the sport!

Another idea (thought porovoking too)though, lets starting giving gov't officals free kitesurfing lessons, get them hooked and who knows, maybe they will close the beach to all BUT kitesurfing traffic

This is a good idea and one that we have been encouraging for sometime along with gear discounts. We need more folks from the public sector in kiteboarding. They can make strong allies for access in positions where it can count

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi