Thread: Race Kiteboards
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM

I think that pretty much everyone is in agreement that a directional is better off the wind if you know how to ride one. The boards are much more efficient when ridden with very little edge and using the lift of the fins. It's true that twins do well from time to time, but it's usually just a case of a great rider using a board that he is used to. Look at Mike Hall or J. Lund. They have both done very well, but I put my money on them both doing even better on a directional board.

The crossing in La Ventana was proof of the need for directional boards. The longer length allows for more scoop and easier riding in chop. They also ride very well at super low angles to the wind. Directional boards also the rider to stand up and take some pressure off the back leg with out tripping the board. I personally don't think that twins will win many more races over 10 miles or so. Time will tell!

On the other hand, slalom is starting to kick in! Twins were doing quite well in the tight course at Los Barrlies. Interestingly though, all riders switched to directionals in later heats and even decided that they were better on toe side legs. I would have guessed that twins would take it, but it's always best to be first to the first mark. Directionals had the speed in the massive chop on the course.

We have a race in Miami this weekend. It's really more of an exibition for ISAF to look at us for 2016. John Heiniken, Damo, and Bruno will all be here. As of today these are 3 of the top 4 in the world. Winds are predicted to be very bad, but all we need is 6-9 mph. I'm crossing my fingers! If anyone is in Miami and wants to check it out, I'm sure that there is room on a mark set boat. We will be racing far into the Bay and can't be seen from shore so boats are the only option. It is cool though to see how efficient the racing kit has become.