View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby wilson
Go ahead then, be stubborn like that and don't consult an instructor. But also don't be surprised when you aren't given the 'respect' that you think you deserve from the rest of the community. There is NO excuse for not taking at least one lesson from an instructor, cowboy!!!

(I personally spent about $600 on lessons, you can afford one)
Don't hold back Toby, tell us how you really feel.

I'll go against the grain here. While I definitely recommend instruction to all beginners, I would say if you're riding already and doing fine, then you probably don't need an instructor at this point. Just continue to be responsible and respectful. Also don't be afraid to ask the more experienced guys questions about technique, ediquette and safety, as long as you're not pestering them.

No offense to the "certified" instructors out there, but there are plenty of more than capable instructors and friends who teach friends. You shouldn't dismiss them because they don't have an acronym on their card, some of them have been kiting longer than the certifying organizations have existed. Respect is earned on and around the water. It doesn't come from a certificate.