View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM

I remember what drew me to this sport and this group of people... how much everyone was willing to help each other out. Right now, I would NEVER go out without my instructor, (or friend/boyfriend,etc) who is consciously looking after me. That is just me and my comfort zone right now. I know my limits and will make sure that if I'm working on something I'm not very familiar with, I have someone there to keep an eye on me. I have seen some of you guys racing down the beach at the first sign of trouble. It is a very cool thing to watch. Not cool that someone's in trouble of course, but the way you guys have looked after each other.

The Camaraderie of this sport is unique in its tight nit community, which drew so many of us to want to be a part of the kiting addiction. I was skeptical at first because I sat on the beach for a long time before I decided that this sport ws for me. I have seen people get hurt and have helped rescue people's kites out of trees. I decided to take lessons from certified instructors (not just my buddy or boyfriend) and learn the right way, with safety skills taught first.

Just remember that everyone was once a newbie and and its easy to forget that time when some guy was riding by and throwing out some helpful instructions for you. It really comes down to the whole Karma thing for me. If I continue to recognize signs of trouble, and can help out without putting myself in more danger, I'm on it. What comes around goes around. I know that when that person sees me out there struggling that they might remember the time I helped them climb a tree to get their kite out and will be willing to exchange the favor.

Yes, the skyway is scary. I will not ride on the backside. However, after taking a hike to the sandbar at the front side and having an instructor with me, I see no reason why me, as a newbie shouldn't be allowed to ride there. As soon as I started to find myself downwind, I'd turn around and hike back to the sandbar to start again.

Everyone right now seems quite bitter because there are so many new people and the launches are crowded,etc. What we have to remember is that this sport is growing exponentially and we are all a part of that. There are annoying things like crowded launches and people who haven't taken a lesson go out and put the rest of us in danger. The more of us there are, the cheaper the gear becomes, the better the safety systems are made and the more opportunity we have to bring exposure and to be a part of the grassroots community of this awesome sport.

The fact that we have 82 people registered for OUR race is amazing. Now listen up... when I bring tv stations and newspaper reporters and photographers to cover the race... I expect everyone to look out for themselves and be safe. The last thing this sport needs is an accident in front of all the newspapers and TV reporters. Look out for each other and only ride as far as you'd be able to self-rescue your way back to the beach.

Have fun, don't hate and remember what goes around comes around...
:wink: