View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Dolts with kites....

As I'm a noob to kiteboarding and Randy is my instructor of choice, I'm inclined to pitch in here. And yes I was there when this crash happened; I was getting my 15m ready for a lesson.

This guy had asked Randy for a lesson, from what Randy had said earlier, and still decided to go out there when Randy was booked. From first hand knowledge going kiting without instruction is a Darwin act waiting to happen. I know the desire to "get out there" when the wind is shit most of the summer.

As for places to learn; sorry but most of the places where the wind is great, everyone is at. Everyone here was a noob at one time, and from what I was told kiters are a pretty great bunch of folks, so let's not get into where to and where to not teach. The skyway has it's perils, one of guys I've met while writing the article on kiteboarding, I'm currently involved with, almost had his "in the rocks" experience and used it to make sure I knew where he had problems. Randy took time to make sure I was way out so when I did face plant, (several times) I did not take out a kiter or wind up with a dangerous situation for myself, mouth full of Tampa Bay excluded.

You can buy a kite anywhere; no salesperson will sidestep a $1000+ sale because there are people too stupid to realize what they are doing. While it would be great to require a card to get a kite (I need to show my card before I can get scuba tanks) I don't see that happening soon enough.

-Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
I think part of the issue is you can buy a kite and get a lesson right at the skyway. This is not a good beginner spot! If you are under close supervision by a good instructor maybe, but to get one or two hours and a new 15M kite and expect to ride there safely is insane!!! There is some implied permission that it is a learning spot if you got a lesson there. If you can't confidently water start and go directly upwind you have no business riding at any skyway launch unless you are under direct supervision.

I admire Randy and Cindy for working hard to create a successful business. I see them both as friends, since they don't post here I'm going to try to talk to them about encouraging their customer to practice and develop their skills at other sites. I can't imagine what kiting would be like if we get banned at the skyway, but unless we change the way it is being used it will be and soon.

Oh, and having a certificate doesn't make you a good instructor and teaching is about more than making money. Having the knowledge and skills are much more important, and more so to genuinely care about the student and creating a positive outcome.