View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionryder420 View Post
I hope you guys realize the only step that can be taken to regulate kiting is an all out ban. If you really want to help take a step towards that, be my guest, I can afford tickets to kite, it's no big deal to me.
Sorry man.. but this is complete and total BS.

come to Hood River.. I am amazed at how the community of kiters and windsurfers have got their shit together and made "rules" on how to kite safely.

Now.. enforcing these rules is another thing. I dont see any kite-cops out here.. but its more a taught mindset that "this is how WE do things around here.. and if YOU want to be a part of it you need to take the responsibility"

its not a "i am better than you" thing.. its a "we are all better if we do things this way".

I still have seen newbies doing dumb things, I have heard of 1 major kitemare here (guy has been in hospital for 4 days now).. and have witness 2 major kite-related accidents and took 30 minutes myself to drag a fallen rider back to the shore .. in fact.. i saw a guy fly a second kite to shore.. not drag it or rescue.. the dude was flying his kite while holding the CL of another kite and flying it at low altitude.. amazing.

I know you have concerns about anyone jumping too close to shore.. I agree 100000%.. I have done it myself and do my best to keep my distance.. there are a couple riders here that not only jump.. but throw down handle passes and loops right on the crowded shoreline.. I agree this is another thing that needs to be addressed.. but first thing is def. the new riders and identifying them and making them feel comfortable to come up and talk to others that are willing to take the time to help them. if they could identify US as being someone there to help, I think it would be a great start.

signs on the beach, rules, etc.. those are things that will have to happen.. it works in many places..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa