View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Have folks tried launching unhooked like Jon is showing above? Some flat kites I have would exert too much force to do this comfortably, others I am not sure about.

This looks more radical to me than almost anything else. It could even provide a new way to "launch unhooked" to provide some additional safety on launch. Launching unhooked the conventional way holding the bar you may have higher kite loads than when holding the center line on some flat kites.

Also, with kites that work with this above control bar tensioning of the centerline assembly, it could provide yet another option in allowing even more depowering that might be achieved with bar input alone in high wind emergencies, again in some models.

Not encouraging a bunch of folks to go out and tear things up in moderate to high wind. I would try gently tensioning the center line (chicken loop) assembly above the bar in light wind, with a detached kite leash, with a huge clear buffer area downwind, with a helper to try to intercept the kite, etc.. Take it slow, evaluate how your kite responds and let us know.

Scott, if you have the spin landing video email me the link, file, whatever and I'll put it up. I am pretty sure I've seen it online somewhere although it could have been years back.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi